2016 Yukon power step issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So yesterday the passenger side power step started to go up then stopped, it did this a couple of times so I am stopped and it was down so opened the door and closed and it went up without issue. This morning the wife was complaining about it again this morning. Tonight I got on the creeper and the first attempt the step went almost up then down when the door was closed then worked perfect the next few times. I didn't see anything that jumped out broken or binding. I power washed them really good this spring to get the same and salt out of them moving parts.

Anyone experience this? Can a motor going bad cause this? Do I need to do a more extensive cleaning?

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too have experienced this with my ‘15 Yukon Denali XL. Like you I power washed them real good, while they were out and down, and did my best to get into all the pivoting points. Then after they’ve dried out I hit them with some silicone based lubricant spray. I have a WD-40 version with the straw that I sink into the pivoting points and spray. This method has seemed to get me by so far.

OP
OP
yates ™

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I too have experienced this with my ‘15 Yukon Denali XL. Like you I power washed them real good, while they were out and down, and did my best to get into all the pivoting points. Then after they’ve dried out I hit them with some silicone based lubricant spray. I have a WD-40 version with the straw that I sink into the pivoting points and spray. This method has seemed to get me by so far.
That is my next step as soon i get some, lol. Glad to know it helped.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Slightly off topic but can you keep the steps down while the door is closed or did you just leave your doors cracked while cleaning them?

OP
OP
yates ™

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slightly off topic but can you keep the steps down while the door is closed or did you just leave your doors cracked while cleaning them?
There is a button that will keep them down if i remember correctly.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I know there’s a dash button to turn them on and off. I haven’t messed with it though. But I guess if I opened the door. Turned the boards off. Then closed the door. They may stay extended

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score

There is a button close to the center console/dash that you can select to turn them off; This leaves them down and out. I usually just not shut the door all the way so that the step doesn’t go back up.

OP
OP
yates ™

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a button close to the center console/dash that you can select to turn them off; This leaves them down and out. I usually just not shut the door all the way so that the step doesn’t go back up.

I believe it you put your foot on it I believe it will stay down too.

Denali_lover

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with the driver side. Comes down but won't go back up unless I give it a helping hand. Took the entire assembly off used penetrating oil, drilled the pins and put grease nipples worked for a day than back to not working.... so I'm thinking I either have to buy new brackets @ $350 each or drill the pins out and replace them with bolts? Anyone tried this?

phottomatt

Reaction score
I had no problems till 2 days ago when I read this thread :banghead:, now my driver side seems to have a mind of its own. I can hear it creaking when it goes up half way then back down, time to break out the lube :p.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9