2016 Yukon Denali cam shaft issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cleancut41

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2016 Yukon Denali with 125,000 miles on it. Beautiful truck. All service, including oil changes, done at GMC dealership. While driving all of the sudden the truck started running very rough and engine warning light came on. It didn't stall but felt like it at stop sign. Made it a short distance home and had it towed to dealership. They told me they think that it is a cam shaft issue and it would cost between 4k and 6k to fix but they wouldn't know for sure until they started working on it. I think they sensed my disappointment/anger and told me that customers with similar experiences often trade in. Shouldn't a 6.2 engine last longer than that when properly maintained? WTH GM?

JMH1980

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2016 Yukon Denali with 125,000 miles on it. Beautiful truck. All service, including oil changes, done at GMC dealership. While driving all of the sudden the truck started running very rough and engine warning light came on. It didn't stall but felt like it at stop sign. Made it a short distance home and had it towed to dealership. They told me they think that it is a cam shaft issue and it would cost between 4k and 6k to fix but they wouldn't know for sure until they started working on it. I think they sensed my disappointment/anger and told me that customers with similar experiences often trade in. Shouldn't a 6.2 engine last longer than that when properly maintained? WTH GM?
You would think so...
These vehicles should be hitting 200k miles with no problem, as long as they've been properly maintained.
I've got 76,*** on mine and am kinda worried about crossing that 100k mile threshold to be honest. Just going to vigilantly keep up on the maintenance and hope for the best.

OP
OP
cleancut41

cleancut41

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anyone had a similar experience to this? If so, what did you end up doing?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that diagnosis is way too vague! I would ask what codes were thrown and if they did a compression test or pulled a valve cover like Wade said.

MobileHomie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$6,000 got me a complete AFM delete, Stage 1 BTR camshaft, and dyno tune. F the dealer, find a performance shop if you intend on keeping the rig.

OP
OP
cleancut41

cleancut41

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Okay, I have a little more information. I spoke to the tech and he said they have not done a deep enough dive on it yet to really diagnose it. It had a cylinder 8 misfire. It is waiting until next week when he will take the valve covers off and be able to tell really something major or a spring or lifter. He advised me to wait until he does that, then use that info to make any decisions on it.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you plan on keeping it for the long haul do yourself a favor and as @MobileHomie did start pricing up an AFM delete for your 6.2 L86 engine. Find a local GM LS/LT performance shop and tell them what you have and tell them your situation and you’re anticipating a failed lifter and would like to mechanically delete the AFM.

They should be able to get you set up with a parts list and pricing.

OP
OP
cleancut41

cleancut41

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Another update. After taking advice from a tech who specializes in GM engine issues to wait for a more thorough diagnosis, the dealership called me and told me that I had a broken valve spring on cylinder 8. They even sent me a picture of it. Quoted less than $400 to repair. If that is all that it is, I am very thankful as it sounded absolutely terrible when it was brought in. I almost traded it in for significantly less than it is really worth. Hopefully it will be running great when I pick it up.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another update. After taking advice from a tech who specializes in GM engine issues to wait for a more thorough diagnosis, the dealership called me and told me that I had a broken valve spring on cylinder 8. They even sent me a picture of it. Quoted less than $400 to repair. If that is all that it is, I am very thankful as it sounded absolutely terrible when it was brought in. I almost traded it in for significantly less than it is really worth. Hopefully it will be running great when I pick it up.
Sounds like the first place you took didn’t want to put any effort into actuality figuring out what was wrong.

Glad you got a 2nd opinion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts