2016 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
LT1ZOB

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the kind words and advice. Got a call today that the wheels are in. Asked the dealer for a quote on the Defenders. 880 out the door, told him to order those too. The Continentals on the car now aren't too bad, so I guess I'll put them in the basement for another day (My wife will be pleasantly surprised with more car parts in the basement I'm sure)

2 additional questions:
I've been looking around here regarding my rear diff fluid change. On my 16 Stingray and 13 Camaro, I simply remove the drain plug and then fill from the fill plug. No drain plug on 16 Tahoe RWD 3.08? Only a fill?

Second, and this is a touchy subject on the vette and camaro forums, but I don't want to be the newbie who starts trouble. I would like to install a catch can because it's a DI engine. I have Elite engineering cans in my other cars. Does that work well on the 5.3 or do you guys have a better recommendation?
Thank you.

OP
OP
LT1ZOB

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with the others on the Defenders!! I am waiting for my Continentals to wear out. I am at 39K miles on my 2016 Hoe so getting there slowly.

I would love to be in Miami good sir, I'm sure I'd get 50k out of the Continentals, unfortunately, brutally long winters and RWD with just OK tires are not a good mix. One day I'll retire to a warm climate and leave this worry behind

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to be in Miami good sir, I'm sure I'd get 50k out of the Continentals, unfortunately, brutally long winters and RWD with just OK tires are not a good mix. One day I'll retire to a warm climate and leave this worry behind
I actually have 6/32" on my Continentals after 32K in Colorado. They've been pretty good tires, really, and make a decent case for themselves given the price difference from Defenders.

orchidcrazy

Reaction score
Congratulations on the new to you rig!!!

I have Goodyear Fuel Assurance on mine (came with) and will be trying out the Defenders in the Fall. Had Premiers on my last vehicle, a Jeep GC, and they were the noisiest things ever. I put Defenders on my daughters Liberty to save money and always liked them more.

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2015 Tahoe 2wd for 4yrs. They do phenomenal in the snow. Leave the electric nannies on and just drive. No issues on the factory garbage tires.

I installed General Grabber AT2 tires (33" vice factory 31.8") and they made an already good rig into great. The only downfall of them is that they pickup pea sized rocks in the tread pattern.

We get some decent snow up here in CT, I think you'll enjoy your purchase.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Toss the old tires in the trash. Or sell them if you can. You can’t mix the treads for long term use. And all they’ll do in the basement is dry rot causing a trash issue for you

OP
OP
LT1ZOB

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point blue. Like I said, they’re not great, but decent. Someone at the end of their lease might need them for $150 or so. I track my Camaro 1LE , so I’m used to going thru tires quickly, so I always have a few in decent shape in the basement. But they don’t have a chance to dry rot, they get used quickly. These will over time. So I’ll try to sell.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking around here regarding my rear diff fluid change. On my 16 Stingray and 13 Camaro, I simply remove the drain plug and then fill from the fill plug. No drain plug on 16 Tahoe RWD 3.08? Only a fill?

Pull the cover and let it all drain out, the gasket is reusable, then refill through the side plug or diff cover plug (whichever you have) to just below the opening or just over 2 quarts. The first time I did mine 2.15 quarts was put in, two months later had to do it again because of a leaky axle seal so only 2 quarts went in that time.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point blue. Like I said, they’re not great, but decent. Someone at the end of their lease might need them for $150 or so. I track my Camaro 1LE , so I’m used to going thru tires quickly, so I always have a few in decent shape in the basement. But they don’t have a chance to dry rot, they get used quickly. These will over time. So I’ll try to sell.
Where do you live? I have to buy new tires pretty soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick