2016 Denali..Front end squeaks like an old mattress

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Akinshake

Reaction score
2016 Yukon xl Denali 4x4 84k miles.

Everytime I hit a bump going slow my front end squeaks like an old mattress, speed bumps, my drive way, seems like every bump. Thought it was coil overs but I recently replaced the mrc with an mrc delete and fox coil overs and it still does the same thing. Replaced sway bar end links, no change. Everything is torqued correctly, and everything visually seems fine, bushing wise. It’s got to be control arm bushings or something suspension wise, but I’d really not like to just throw parts at it to start. Any help or guidance would be great, thanks.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I wasn’t sure where to post this, hope I can get a little more visibility here.

2016 Yukon xl Denali 4x4 84k miles.

Everytime I hit a bump going slow my front end squeaks like an old mattress, speed bumps, my drive way, seems like every bump. Thought it was coil overs but I recently replaced the mrc with an mrc delete and fox coil overs and it still does the same thing. Replaced sway bar end links, no change. Everything is torqued correctly, and everything visually seems fine, bushing wise. It’s got to be control arm bushings or something suspension wise, but I’d really not like to just throw parts at it to start. Any help or guidance would be great, thanks.

Well, the control arms have bushings that can be checked. You'll want to check your ball joints and the bushings for the front differential. I would also double check the sway bar end link bushings, count eight of them and make sure they are tight. There are also two more bushings further back that secure the swaybar to the frame. Check the tie rods and steering linkage too I guess.

OP
OP
Akinshake

Akinshake

Reaction score
Well, the control arms have bushings that can be checked. You'll want to check your ball joints and the bushings for the front differential. I would also double check the sway bar end link bushings, count eight of them and make sure they are tight. There are also two more bushings further back that secure the swaybar to the frame. Check the tie rods and steering linkage too I guess.

besides visually inspecting them for tears or metal to metal contact, how can I check them? I tried to wiggle everything and nothing seemed loose. I’ll drop the sway bar mounts and grease them up good. I’ve got brand new polyurethane tie rod end bushings that I greased up well and checked to make sure everything was properly torqued.

thanks for your help

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
besides visually inspecting them for tears or metal to metal contact, how can I check them? I tried to wiggle everything and nothing seemed loose. I’ll drop the sway bar mounts and grease them up good. I’ve got brand new polyurethane tie rod end bushings that I greased up well and checked to make sure everything was properly torqued.

thanks for your help

There is an official way to check for play in the ball joints with a dial indicator, jack stands and a floor jack. One millimeter of play and its out of spec. I know a guy who puts a jack under the lower control arm and then uses a cheater bar to press up and down on the ball joints, must have a good eye! I would think that for them to be bad enough to rattle, the boots would be gone. The more I think about it, it's probably something else.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Get a mechanic's stethoscope and have a heavy/strong friend jounce/bounce the left and right side front suspension, you did not say whether you hear the noise from the rear or front but I assume that it is the front based on your post, and probe for where the noise comes from with that hearing scope. You can even put your hand on different spots while bouncing the front end and feel the squeak. A squeak or squeal is just a high pitched vibration that if you find it you can feel it.

OP
OP
Akinshake

Akinshake

Reaction score
Get a mechanic's stethoscope and have a heavy/strong friend jounce/bounce the left and right side front suspension, you did not say whether you hear the noise from the rear or front but I assume that it is the front based on your post, and probe for where the noise comes from with that hearing scope. You can even put your hand on different spots while bouncing the front end and feel the squeak. A squeak or squeal is just a high pitched vibration that if you find it you can feel it.

It’s the front and can’t tell what side it’s coming from. Almost sounds like both sides, or center, so I just need somebody to help listen to pin point. Good info, appreciate it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Turbokon