2016 Denali 2/4 NorcalSS drop issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slow5.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 years ago i did 2/4 drop on my 2016 Yukon Denali with NorcalSS kit and kit come from Beltech part # 753. I still have OEM autoride shocks. Did everything by instructions. From day 1 rear end was hard. Now its getting worse. Its bouncing much more. Denali have 70k and about 10k on drop kit. I know my autoride shocks are still good no leaks and and airbags still holding pressure. I also did free travel mod and installed DJM swaybar links and also swapped Beltech rear shock extenders for DJM units. That helped with clunk noise since pinion angle was wrong with Beltech unit. But bounce/hard rear end is still there

Did anyone else have this issue ??

gnx7

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would be curious about this also... my '17 Yukon Denali with 60K miles when I bought it rides the same.... bouncy .... like the rear shocks are frozen.
My truck is 100% with the factory 22" rim option which isn't helping with a smooth ride.

What size rims/tires are you on?

OP
OP
Slow5.0

Slow5.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have aftermatket in 22" 285s for summer and 20" 275s for winter. Doesnt mattet what wheels/tires i have my rear suspension is just like yours frozen. Look and feels like those 90s/2000s Lincoln and cadillac sedans when rear airbags go bad lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slow5.0

Slow5.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im gonna play with adjusting rod on the rear. It may ride on springs only. Adjusting rod from 2.6" to 2.8" may help. But its too damn cold outside. -17 in Missouri

BMPNUGLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may not think the magneride shocks are shot…but I bet they are! Ride quality went bad fairly quickly when they were going out…to almost totally freezing up…mine didn’t leak and held air…nothing visibly indicated they were worn out but they absolutely were….replaced mine with passive Arnott’s and ride was improved immediately!

Ram396

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's more than likely the Magna ride rear shocks. They can go bad and not show any psychical signs. the best way to tell is to take the shock loose at the rear mount remove the air line and try to compress it by hand. You should be able to compress it with moderate pressure. If you can't than you have your answer bad shock.

OP
OP
Slow5.0

Slow5.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may not think the magneride shocks are shot…but I bet they are! Ride quality went bad fairly quickly when they were going out…to almost totally freezing up…mine didn’t leak and held air…nothing visibly indicated they were worn out but they absolutely were….replaced mine with passive Arnott’s and ride was improved immediately!

Do you have part # for Arnott shocks ?
Thanks

OP
OP
Slow5.0

Slow5.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Making rod 0.100 longer helped a little. Im gonna order new aluminum M5 turnbuckle rods from McMaste-Carr and cut them to my length

OP
OP
Slow5.0

Slow5.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Magnaride shocks were all bad. All 4. Leaking bad. Installed Arnott SK3353 front and AS3066 rear shocks. This fixed bouncing problem. Also vibration on 70mph is also gone. Yukon ride just like it did in 2016 when i bought it new. No more stupid seized up magnaride shocks

boblee53

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello Slo 5.0, Is your vehicle 2wd or 4wd. I have a 2016 Yukon XL 4x4 that I would like to lower 2/4. I like the look & it would be easier for elderly family members.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660