2016 Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jglazer63

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2016 Yukon (120k miles) after owning a 2001 (250k miles and still going strong). Loving it! Anyhow can anyone offer any preventative maintenance advice I should be aware of? The difference in years/models is substantial so I am unfamiliar with what kinds of things to look out for.

Thanks!

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you changed the transmission fluid and antifreeze regularly? If not I'd do that. Check the ball joints and suspension parts

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Suggestion, If you got the carfax, review maintenance done, but I would start with a fluid change on trans, not a flush. Rear end diff fluid. Coolant change and brake fluid flush.

Check all suspension parts for play, grease tie rod ends if applicable.

Clean the throttle body.

Run some chevron premium in it with a bottle of chevron fuel system cleaner to help keep those injectors cleaned up.

One thing I would do is put the transmission cooler bypass in asap! https://superiortransmission.com/product/superior-stl010/

I would fit in a spark plug change also, run oem plugs, do not deviate for some gimmick junk.

RoadTrip

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2016 Yukon (120k miles) after owning a 2001 (250k miles and still going strong). Loving it! Anyhow can anyone offer any preventative maintenance advice I should be aware of? The difference in years/models is substantial so I am unfamiliar with what kinds of things to look out for.

Thanks!

Yes, everything looks different, but the principles are all the same. If your other rig is going strong, you probably know what normal maintenance should be. BigKev, above, gave you good advice. Start there and be curious and check out everything mechanical, electrical and hydraulic so you don't have surprises later.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it hasn’t been changed yet, your ac condenser will need to be replaced since we all know it will crack and die. Known issue by GM. If you purchased any type of extended warranty, you may get some relief.

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it hasn’t been changed yet, your ac condenser will need to be replaced since we all know it will crack and die. Known issue by GM. If you purchased any type of extended warranty, you may get some relief.
Anyway to visually tell if a condenser is a replacement or not?

OP
OP
J

jglazer63

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Suggestion, If you got the carfax, review maintenance done, but I would start with a fluid change on trans, not a flush. Rear end diff fluid. Coolant change and brake fluid flush.

Check all suspension parts for play, grease tie rod ends if applicable.

Clean the throttle body.

Run some chevron premium in it with a bottle of chevron fuel system cleaner to help keep those injectors cleaned up.

One thing I would do is put the transmission cooler bypass in asap! https://superiortransmission.com/product/superior-stl010/

I would fit in a spark plug change also, run oem plugs, do not deviate for some gimmick junk.

Thanks for the great list! I'll start running this stuff down.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks!
you can swing by any gm dealer and do the following
go to the service desk and provide them with your vin number
ask them to
1. print out your build sheet - you will want that
2. print out any service records they have. these will show you what has been done including warranty work. i.e. such as the condensor mentioned
3. ask them to print out any special coverages. these may include injectors, etc, some things have extended coverage due to liability from previous judgements against gm.

none of that will have any bearing on work done outside of gm, but atleast you will have some record of where you stand with gm and what the vehicle has and does not have (build sheet) so that if you run into issue's down the road you have some reference point for parts.
keep all of that in a folder for future reference
for instance if down the road you need to order a brake control module or something the parts are specific to certain codes that may only be shown in the build sheet or rpo codes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar