2015i - Feb15 Build date and i have Antenna water leak? is there a temp fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tommytuna

Reaction score
So the honeymoon period is over. I have had the 2015i LTZ for a week now.

Two issues:
1) Rough idle - looks like it can be fixed
2) More serious - rained yesterday and now I have a water stain above driver visor. So I guess I have the dreaded antenna leak?

I'm amazed given this was such a common issue that a Feb built truck wouldn't have this fixed???

Here is a pic of my antenna - I noticed a gap in the rubber seal where water could easily enter. Fortunately I turned up the heat in car and within 20 minutes it was dried out without a stain.

Is there any sort of temp fix I can apply - given long weekend dealer can't take me until Tuesday. Don't want anymore rain in there messing with electronics.

I'm pretty freaked out about having the headliner ripped out etc. Why do these antennas leak? Is it the rubber gasket?

GM: If you are listening - Love everything about this truck but these are bush league issues. GM you have to do better than this on high end product.

ANy tips would be appreciated to get through next few days.

Attachments

• WP_20150403_003.jpg
    WP_20150403_003.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 16
  • WP_20150403_004.jpg
    WP_20150403_004.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 17

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd have that thing in the dealership asap! that'd be my fix.....and NO GM is not listening or reading this forum LOL At least, not anyone that can do anything significant LOL

OP
OP
T

Tommytuna

Reaction score
Yah but everything is closed here today and tomorrow we're out of town for couple days.

Wondering if there is a temp fix? I am 95% certain it is that antenna as the middle of the of leak stain was right below centre of antenna. I can't understand why they would intentionally leave a gap in the rubber gasket. Is there some temp silicone I can put in there?

Some other forums actually have people getting replacement trucks due to this issue. Does GM actually provide a new truck on issues like this?

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well a temp fix would be putting some silicone in that gap where you think the leak is coming from. With that said, if you do that GM may find it to be a convenient way to blame you for the issue since they won't be able to "prove" that you didn't fiddle with it prior to the issue occurring. If it's me, I leave it as is. If the problem gets worse then it gets worse and therefore more on GM to fix for you. If that means a new vehicle then that's a plus for you........and this is the first I've heard a dealership being closed on a Friday whether it's Good Friday or not LOL

OP
OP
T

Tommytuna

Reaction score
Very true.

When you guys (without leaks) check your antenna, do you have that little gap that I have (see my pic - it is quite obvious). Otherwise antenna seems properly seated.

Good Friday in Canada - just about everything close.

If it is just the seal, do they just replace seal or do they always replace the entire antenna? I heard of others having to wait for new antennas and have them painted etc.

OnStar/GPS and everything else working well.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Logically thinking they'd just replace the seal and any damaged parts (headliner, visor,...) but knowing GM they'll replace you're entire antenna housing and all your lug nuts just for good measure. LOL

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would make them replace the entire liner. Tell them that there will always be a ring there where it got wet

OP
OP
T

Tommytuna

Reaction score
Liner looks totally fine now that it is dry. Do you guys have that same gap in the rubber seal that I have in my pic?

magiaone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
duck tape to seal it for now - if you put silicon on it - they ll have to scrape it off and then scratch the paint............jmo