2015 Yukon Hard Shift Rant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danny_Boy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi - long time reader, first post. From reading the title of the thread I'm sure you can figure out what I'm about to say - this is a copy of the survey reply I wrote after I got my truck back.

I dropped my 2015 Yukon off on 10/15 for a transmission service due to a hard shift in reverse and intermittent idle issues. This was the second scheduled service because the first time the issue was not fixed. At drop off, Tom told me "it would probably be a couple of days." I was given a loaner and heard nothing for a week. I called multiple times and left messages with no response or update.

I found out later that I was passed along from Tom to Ramsey, however, during this time Ramsey was let go from the dealership. I was told that the replacement parts were not in and my truck had not been looked at yet due to the GM strike. Another week went by and I received no phone call or email about an update, so I called again. This time I spoke with Michelle and she said that all of the parts were on-hand, but she couldn't say when it would be fixed. More days passed and no phone call so I contacted the president of the dealership to find out what was happening. He passed along my contact info to the service manager and I was told it was next in line to be fixed. Finally after 3 1/2 weeks (11/7) I got the call that my truck was fixed.

When I picked it up and drove it everything was fine with the transmission, but it was dirtier than when I dropped it off. There was a large grease spot on the driver door and the driver floor mat was filled with dirt and gravel. I waited a week to see if there would be any follow up call or email and I nothing came. I reached out the service manager and again he blamed the strike for the delay and offered a complimentary detail because of the grease and gravel.

While I appreciate the offer on the detail, the lack of professionalism and blaming others for the delay is unacceptable. A complimentary detail feels like it the least they could offer. I also feel if I was not proactive in communication my truck might still be sitting in the lot waiting to be fixed. I'm certainly no expert on transmissions, but GM knew about this specific issue I was experiencing. They released a service memo detailing the exact fix and judging by what work was done and listed on the invoice it is hard to believe a dealership or neighboring dealership wouldn't have fluid and gaskets on hand.

I was also told by the service manager that the warranty on the parts used to fix the issue only lasts until the powertrain warranty expires. It is set to expire in September of 2020 and this makes me have second thoughts about continued ownership of this vehicle. I also have reservations about bringing my truck or any other vehicle back to this dealership after this lengthy and drawn out process.

End rant.

They followed up with an auto-response email to call them, and I have yet to call. Any ammunition from you guys for when I call would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
Dan

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
First: Welcome to the forum.

Second: IMO, you don't need any help. You have it all documented in chronological order. You have their excuses and your responses. While I know that the GM strike may have had something to do with the delay you still deserved calls with progress reports. All techs should have a seat cover and floor mat when they get in a vehicle and also should look for finger prints and grease smudges. They may also be very short handed. Let us know what happens.

OP
OP
D

Danny_Boy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First: Welcome to the forum.

Second: IMO, you don't need any help. You have it all documented in chronological order. You have their excuses and your responses. While I know that the GM strike may have had something to do with the delay you still deserved calls with progress reports. All techs should have a seat cover and floor mat when they get in a vehicle and also should look for finger prints and grease smudges. They may also be very short handed. Let us know what happens.

So after giving a bad review all it was and auto response from the dealer. I called they said they would transfer me to the service manager - same guy who I had already spoken to and offered the complimentary detail. Funny thing is that I keep the truck cleaner than my kids and don’t need it right now. I’ll take them up on it in the spring - and bet your ass I’m asking details on the detail. Clay bar, paint correction, etc... Better be more than a wash and vacuum.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You can bet they are going to only want to do a wash and vacuum but hold them to what a "detail" job should be. If it is a service they charge for, have a friend call in and get a quote for a detail and what comes with it. Make sure you get the name of who you talk to. Have them email the details and quote to your friend and have that copy with you when you go in.

OP
OP
D

Danny_Boy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You can bet they are going to only want to do a wash and vacuum but hold them to what a "detail" job should be. If it is a service they charge for, have a friend call in and get a quote for a detail and what comes with it. Make sure you get the name of who you talk to. Have them email the details and quote to your friend and have that copy with you when you go in.

Solid advice - thanks Vet!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Solid advice - thanks Vet!

Always come in with all guns fully loaded. A lawyer friend of mine told me once that, "If it ain't documented, it didn't happen". That email of the detail steps is what you should get from them when you take your rig in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345