2015 wheels on 2004

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If batteries are not replaceable, how do they check if they are still good?

You'll get an error on the DIC and shops have the equipment to see if the sensor is sending a signal or not. If it's not, they replace the sensor with a new one.

Does Walmart and costco sell their own TPMS sensors?

They are made buy auto part manufactures. So Walmart and Costco "could" sell them, just like they sell oil fliters.

Does anyone know how much they charge and if they are any good? I have seen some generic models that can be programmed depending on vehicle they go into.

Just look on ebay for your years truck... "2004 tahoe tpms sensor"

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crap. For $160, I can buy a replacement tire. Seems hardly worth it. But then you got to deal with lite tire warning and chimes.

criffaaa1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more thing to consider when deciding to buy new or swap sensors is, sometimes they break when you remove them and have to be replaced anyway.

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spoke to Walmart. They don't touch TPMS, don't install them, don't reset them. That is weird. What is the point of getting tires installed if you are going to have to take them off again to replace sensors at another place? I am surprised they can get away with that with liability.

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok... So i picked up a set of 2015 18" tahoe wheels and tires, brand new, take offs. Now I need to replace the TPMS sensors. I am hoping to salvage OEM ones in 2015 to sell them, and recoup money from buying new ones.

Are the lug nuts the same on 2004 and 2015? 2004 had lug nuts, then some cheap fake bolts that covered lugs. Kind of weird setup.

Not sure if i need to add a lock to prevent theft?

Another Walmart said they would change TPMS if i brought my own for $20 for all 4 tires.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am hoping to salvage OEM ones in 2015 to sell them, and recoup money from buying new ones.

Very easy to do

Are the lug nuts the same on 2004 and 2015? 2004 had lug nuts, then some cheap fake bolts that covered lugs. Kind of weird setup.

yes all lug nuts are the same as far as thread. However, different rims could use a different style and even if they both fit, if you get really small lug nuts they might look weird in a hole designed for bigger lug nuts.

Not sure if i need to add a lock to prevent theft?

Lug locks are a deterrent, just like door locks. If someone wants it bad enough, they will take it. I'd get them though

Another Walmart said they would change TPMS if i brought my own for $20 for all 4 tires.

That's not bad. They need to rebalance them since they will be breaking the tire from the rim.

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have looked all over the internet but have not been able to find any information on why GM changed the TPMS system in 2007+ trucks. I would assume there was more info relayed to driver on new trucks. I read that you need to relearn the TPMS sensors after a tire rotation.

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 PM ----------

Found this in the manual:

TPM Sensor Identification Codes
Each TPM sensor has a unique identification code. Any
time you rotate your vehicle’s tires or replace one or
more of the TPM sensors, the identification codes
will need to be matched to the new tire/wheel position.
Each tire/wheel position is matched to a sensor, by
increasing or decreasing the tire’s air pressure.
The sensors are matched to the tire/wheel positions in
the following order: left front (LF); right front (RF);
right rear (RR) and left rear (LR).
You will have one minute to match the first tire/wheel
position, and five minutes overall to match all four
tire/wheel positions. If it takes longer than one minute,
to match the first tire and wheel, or more than five
minutes to match all four tire and wheel positions the
matching process stops and you will need to start over.

I guess newer TPMS do this with an electronic tool.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They should all do it with the tool I believe, the way in the manual is if you do not have access to the tool you can do it that way.

GM makes it too hard :imo:, my Ram automatically relearns them in a few miles.

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah. It seems like it would be pretty easy for computer to figure out where each signal is coming from and do it on its own. So I guess it will tell the user exactly what tire is flat or problematic, if properly configured?

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They just tell the computer what PSI is in each tire which is relayed to the DIC. Pretty basic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BOBBYQ