2015 Tahoe Squeak During Startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bighurk

Reaction score
Hello everyone, recently I have been starting my car up in the morning and have been hearing a squeak sound and wanted to know if anyone had this issue.

I checked the serpentine belt and everything around it and it seems normal.

Any idea what other possible causes that you may hear a high pitch squeak sound during startup? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cprince912

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Belts typically is all ive know to squeel. How many miles on it?

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the vehicle new to you or is this something that has developed that was not there say last year when you owned it? Your issue may just be a idler pulley, easiest and most accurate way to check is to remove the serpentine belt and spin all pulleys by hand and listen for a a squeak or roughness in the pulley as it turns. Pay close attention to the vacuum pump on a GM 2015 engine. Not very common but there were some issues with these pumps...............

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had something similar a few months back after getting my Tahoe serviced at the stealership. I was getting a squeak sound during cold starts for a few short seconds. At the time I had only 45K miles.

Finally after 2 weeks I looked over the invoice of the service they did. The dealer [Shumacher Chevrolet in West Palm Beach] put in 5W30 oil. Did not think that had anything to do with the squeak. Since the stealership was a 60 mile run from me on a good day I changed out the 5w30 and put in 0w20 Mobil 1 as I was not comfortable running the 5w30. Since then no more squeak. Never thought that a slight grade difference would make that much a difference.

I called the service manager and complained about it but it fell on deaf ears.

Probably has nothing to do with your issue but just throwing it out there just in case.

OP
OP
Bighurk

Bighurk

Reaction score
Is the vehicle new to you or is this something that has developed that was not there say last year when you owned it? Your issue may just be a idler pulley, easiest and most accurate way to check is to remove the serpentine belt and spin all pulleys by hand and listen for a a squeak or roughness in the pulley as it turns. Pay close attention to the vacuum pump on a GM 2015 engine. Not very common but there were some issues with these pumps...............
Okay thank you, I will have to remove the belt and test this out. I had already thought that it has to be something in this area based on my research on google just wanted to search here first to see if others have had similar issues.

Thanks again!

OP
OP
Bighurk

Bighurk

Reaction score
I had something similar a few months back after getting my Tahoe serviced at the stealership. I was getting a squeak sound during cold starts for a few short seconds. At the time I had only 45K miles.

Finally after 2 weeks I looked over the invoice of the service they did. The dealer [Shumacher Chevrolet in West Palm Beach] put in 5W30 oil. Did not think that had anything to do with the squeak. Since the stealership was a 60 mile run from me on a good day I changed out the 5w30 and put in 0w20 Mobil 1 as I was not comfortable running the 5w30. Since then no more squeak. Never thought that a slight grade difference would make that much a difference.

I called the service manager and complained about it but it fell on deaf ears.

Probably has nothing to do with your issue but just throwing it out there just in case.
Thanks for this, I will check back the service records.

SuperOldSchool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this on mine at about 22k. Dealer replaced belt and tensioner and it went away. They said belt looked glazed, so maybe tensioner was faulty / rubbing or somehow misaligned .

OP
OP
Bighurk

Bighurk

Reaction score
Awesome thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz