2004 tahoe speaker whining/squealing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tuckerbeebe1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve had my 2004 Tahoe for 10 years now. Recently the speakers have started an awful whining sound. Anytime the speakers are on you hear the worst squeaking noise you’ve ever heard. Can’t listen to the radio- if any low gas/door open dings happen the speakers cut on and you hear the awful noise. The noise gets a little more high pitch with acceleration, but is always unbearable. Any suggestions?? I’m starting at square one and have not tried anything. Thanks in advance for any tips!

OP
OP
T

Tuckerbeebe1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
*there are no after market speakers or radio or anything of that nature

Scott in AZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paper cones and foam surrounds on all four door speakers and the subwoofer will begin to degrade after about ten years, until the foam is essentially gone. Time for new speakers. I used Polk Audio 6.5 in rear doors; Polk 8” subwoofer, Memphis Audio 2.75 in rear pillar and GM Genuine in front doors. They are all relatively easy to swap if you YouTube door panel removal. I have some threads up on speakers too.

IMG_1631.jpegIMG_1616.jpegIMG_1620.jpegIMG_1316.jpeg

GregBunney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Paper cones and foam surrounds on all four door speakers and the subwoofer will begin to degrade after about ten years, until the foam is essentially gone. Time for new speakers. I used Polk Audio 6.5 in rear doors; Polk 8” subwoofer, Memphis Audio 2.75 in rear pillar and GM Genuine in front doors. They are all relatively easy to swap if you YouTube door panel removal. I have some threads up on speakers too.

View attachment 408082View attachment 408083View attachment 408084View attachment 408085
Mine started to squeal as well but I thought it would be an amp or wiring issue. Could it just be that the speakers are that bad?

StephenCasiday

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine started to squeal as well but I thought it would be an amp or wiring issue. Could it just be that the speakers are that bad?
That may be the case for them but i’m having the same issue, i put all new door speakers in and wired in an amp and i have an awful whining, and when i increase the power to the amp it gets louder and vice versa for turning it down

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20