2015 GMC YUKON XL Tailgate Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMJunky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have posted this on the gm_trucks.com forums also.

So I got a 2015 Black Yukon XL SLT and the first day we went to load it up at Costco we had the problem.

The liftgate would open about 12in and it would close automatically. We tried this a few times and the same issue.

Before I realized that I could open just the glass to load up the stuff, I just yanked on it ad there was a loud plastic binding noise from the top.

Went home and took a video of the issue, good thing we did coz the next morning it was fine, liftgate opened perfect.

Took it to the dealer and they said it was one of the shocks, and they replaced it, but the entire time they could not get it to do the same thing.

Went home and the next day loaded up some things in the back and the liftgate worked fine but wen we went shopping and returned to open the back the same thing happened again.

Back to the dealer it goes.

My theory, it's the sun. the cheap plastic on the top is getting hot and expanding. It works fine in the mornings, and at the dealer because they have a garage where they keep their cars.

What do you think?

Anyone else with the same issue? There must be.

Was not sure I could post links but here is the video that I showed the dealer http://youtu.be/2IT_aFIopxQ

***UPDATE***
For all you new comers that found this post.
There is a FIX for this, take it to your dealer and refer them to this thread if they tell you there is no fix.
GM is replacing the POS spoiler with another POS plastic deal from a plastic storage bins, I mean spoiler. It works. :driver:

Good luck

Last edited:

Pockets

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've yet to have this happen but I'll keep an eye out for it.

jmitchell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Knock on wood I have not had this issue with my '15, but I did have a similar issue with my '07. I ended up having two separate power liftgate motors replaced under warranty. I have a family member now who has an '08 out of warranty and it is having the same problem but the dealer wants over $800 to fix it...wow!

OP
OP
G

GMJunky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Currently I'm talking to the dealer and GM cs over at the gm-trucks.com about the issue.
The dealer finally replicated the issue when I told them about leaving the SUV on the sun, this is after they told me they have made some small adjustment.

GM needs to get involved so check all your 2015 Tahoe's, Burb's, Yukon's and post your issue here.

Hope it gets fixed

Griff75

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Same thing happened to my wife. Dealer says they're ordering parts...

I wasn't able to replicate it but sounds exactly the same. Also it was 90 degrees here in Portland today!

xanadu79

Reaction score
Had the exact same issue. I identified it was only happening when warm. Took the dealer 2 days to fix as they were waiting on details from GM engineering.

Gavenger

Reaction score
The very first 2015 I looked at did the same thing. This was during the demo from the salesperson. I showed it to him and he scheduled it to go into service immediately. Even though this was not the one I was going to buy. So when mine did finally get in, I thoroughly inspected the liftgate on mine before signing the papers. I could not say why the one I saw did it, at the time it just looked like the spoiler was misaligned as it was only binding in the very center of the spoiler. I do not discount heat being a factor though.

Gav

OP
OP
G

GMJunky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update:
GM is shipping out a new spoiler painted and ready to install to the dealer.
Hope it is not the same material, coz it's not gone make a difference.

rjhoskins

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me. It's done it maybe 4 times. It'll open a few inches then make a loud binding noise like something is rubbing or catching and automatically close.

http://youtu.be/AJQpJY1kSLs

Nice of you to get this on video in case you can't get it to replicate at the dealership. This appears to be fairly widespread, hopefully, they will have this fixed asap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
preinternet