2015 Denali/Rear hatch and heated seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tarryl Madison

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just bought a 2015 Denali. Anyone else had/having trouble with the rear hatch not closing automatically (opens just fine, but have to manually close it) and the front heated seats not working (cooling works fine)? Not sure if these are common problems or if I'm just special.

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a forum search on the hatch as others have had this issue too.
On the seats make sure the fuse is good. How many miles are on your Yukon? Is it both seats or just the drivers?

OP
OP
Tarryl Madison

Tarryl Madison

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Problem in both seats. 72k miles. Currently having some reconditioning work done on it, I'll check the fuses when I get it back.

kokonutgirl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Tahoe LTZ and I've run the gamut with the dealership and they claim they've worked directly with GM and that the heats seat correctly. They barely get warm on high. The back captain chairs don't even get warm. I see talk here of the fuses, where do I look? Are these under the hood or the dashboard? If fuses are fine does anyone know if I get aftermarket seat pads, if that would fix the issue. I would need to find someone who knows how to take out the seat and pull off the leather, yikes !! Or, would I need to get a new heating module? I don't know if the module runs the heat or if the type of pads used only get to a certain temperature. I had a 2016 Terrain and the heated seats were awesome. Ditto for my hubs 2016 High Country 2500.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those that have had problems with the heated seats in your year range 15-20 was a lot of the time heating pad related and had to be replaced. There should be a you tube showing how to replace. There may be a Tech2 owner in your area that would share, there is a list of owners and locations on this forum. @swathdiver may know if you can check heat output with the Tech2. Good luck.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Tahoe LTZ and I've run the gamut with the dealership and they claim they've worked directly with GM and that the heats seat correctly. They barely get warm on high. The back captain chairs don't even get warm. I see talk here of the fuses, where do I look? Are these under the hood or the dashboard? If fuses are fine does anyone know if I get aftermarket seat pads, if that would fix the issue. I would need to find someone who knows how to take out the seat and pull off the leather, yikes !! Or, would I need to get a new heating module? I don't know if the module runs the heat or if the type of pads used only get to a certain temperature. I had a 2016 Terrain and the heated seats were awesome. Ditto for my hubs 2016 High Country 2500.
A bi-directional scan tool is needed for proper diagnosis. It can see any internal trouble codes and interact with the seats. Do you know anyone with a Snap-On Solus or the GM MDI with GDS software? That's the type of scan tool I'm talking about. If you don't have access to this, find another dealer or walk around back and talk to the guy with the biggest tool box and tell him what your concerns are. Worked for me in the past.

Those that have had problems with the heated seats in your year range 15-20 was a lot of the time heating pad related and had to be replaced. There should be a you tube showing how to replace. There may be a Tech2 owner in your area that would share, there is a list of owners and locations on this forum. @swathdiver may know if you can check heat output with the Tech2. Good luck.
Unfortunately, the Tech-2 does not work on the K2 and newer platform. It was replaced by GMs MDI and GDS software running on a laptop.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for replying and the info for the correct scan tool, I thought it may have been upgraded but I was not sure what it was called.

kokonutgirl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A bi-directional scan tool is needed for proper diagnosis. It can see any internal trouble codes and interact with the seats. Do you know anyone with a Snap-On Solus or the GM MDI with GDS software? That's the type of scan tool I'm talking about. If you don't have access to this, find another dealer or walk around back and talk to the guy with the biggest tool box and tell him what your concerns are. Worked for me in the past.

Unfortunately, the Tech-2 does not work on the K2 and newer platform. It was replaced by GMs MDI and GDS software running on a laptop.
I appreciate the information very much ! My bro-in-law has an oil change place and does some minor engine work. I'll have to see if maybe he can get his hands on one or if knows of someone.

I've got a GMC dealership not to far from me so I'll sneak in the back door and hunt for the biggest toolbox ! I may have to have some cold beer with me ! LOL

kokonutgirl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was hoping the pads might be able to be replaced so I'll look in to that. I don't know what tool they were using, but they claimed they heated up to around 90 degrees... NOT! Replacing he pads would be cheaper (I would hope) than getting new Katzkin replacement seats.

L8T BURB

Reaction score
As for your liftgate issue, I would put my bet on it being your liftgate shocks. They can be purchased on Amazon for around $100 or so for the set. The lifting mechanism/actuator is in the driver side shock. The passenger side is more or less there for stability, but I would definitely recommend replacing as a set, and not using the dealership. They are VERY expensive. I replaced my liftgate shocks in June with the generic ones and they've worked flawlessly. Very easy job with a couple of simple hand tools at home. Less than 1 hour.

1693399424410.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518