2014 Oil burn...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kuhndog-11

Reaction score
Well last week I checked the fluids as I have done Every week since buying this thing and found it to be about half a quart low. Seemed odd. Have owned it for a few months and about 8 thousand miles. hasn't burned a drop until now. After jumping on here and researching I found that the PCV system in these is ******** lol. I ordered a new GM valve cover to replace the PCV. Number 1 and 7 are showing signs of the typical oil issues on these engines. I don't understand how the oil is getting in the cylinders though. The throttle is almost spotless. Does it have to do with the AFM/DOD system? If the oil burning continues I suppose I'll compression test and do a leak down on it. With just under 55k it is definitely concerning.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Any change in driving cycle? Sometimes a vehicle driven daily to work may consume differently on a road trip for example.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hopefully you ordered the updated valve cover for the driver's side.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2014 already came with the updated valve cover and the AFM deflector.

If it were me, I would install a catch can between your PCV and intake manifold (about a 15 minute job) and see if it is pumping oil out the PCV and into the intake. If not, then I would probably do a leak down test, just to get a better picture.

OP
OP
Kuhndog-11

Kuhndog-11

Reaction score
Any change in driving cycle? Sometimes a vehicle driven daily to work may consume differently on a road trip for example.
No change there. It's always a mix of city and highway, more on the highway side.

OP
OP
Kuhndog-11

Kuhndog-11

Reaction score
how often are you changing the oil? many of us stick to a 3k or 5k (at the most) routine, 8k is really pushing it in my book, especially with the cylinder shut-down
Using amsoil I feel confident taking it to the factory 7500 miles between changes. The oil itself has almost 5k on it and is still very clean and has good viscosity.

OP
OP
Kuhndog-11

Kuhndog-11

Reaction score
The 2014 already came with the updated valve cover and the AFM deflector.

If it were me, I would install a catch can between your PCV and intake manifold (about a 15 minute job) and see if it is pumping oil out the PCV and into the intake. If not, then I would probably do a leak down test, just to get a better picture.
I didn't look too close but typically PCV's feed in before the throttle body. Is that how it is on these? Not a GM guy so the 5.3 is all new to me. If it feeds in before the throttle body I'm good. The throttle is very very clean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan