2013 Yahoe SSV trailer wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hal96Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
BTW I believe the DIC only displays Trailer connected info if you have the factory installed brake controller.
Also, TOW/HAUL is intended to change the transmission programming to accommodate the extra load. Towing in "normal" mode can damage your transmission

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dumb move by GM. They made towing package and factory brake controller TWO SEPARATE OPTIONS....AND....THERE IS NO FACTORY CONTROLLER RETROFIT KIT. You have to buy an aftermarket brake comtroller (Tekonsha or Curt etc.) and mount and wire it up. GM dealer can provide a Curt unit thru GM
GM did not even provide a plug and play connector under the dash... just "blunt cut" wires. Ran into this issue with my CPO 2013 Yukon

So I can't get a factory controller already mounted in the knee bolster and wire it to the wires that are there? That is kinda nuts.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW I believe the DIC only displays Trailer connected info if you have the factory installed brake controller.
Also, TOW/HAUL is intended to change the transmission programming to accommodate the extra load. Towing in "normal" mode can damage your transmission

Good information that I was completely unaware of! Thanks.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

Hal96Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I can't get a factory controller already mounted in the knee bolster and wire it to the wires that are there? That is kinda nuts.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy
Agreed! I have discussed with Service Mgr. and salesperson at GM dealership where I bought my Yukon as well as my 2004 Astro Van. They can't help beyond installing a Curt aftermarket unit supplied by GM PARTS Central. Apparently there is additional wiring and maybe a firmware update to DIC when the factory bolster mounted brake controller is installed. Frustrating and not an owner friendly decision by GM.

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed! I have discussed with Service Mgr. and salesperson at GM dealership where I bought my Yukon as well as my 2004 Astro Van. They can't help beyond installing a Curt aftermarket unit supplied by GM PARTS Central. Apparently there is additional wiring and maybe a firmware update to DIC when the factory bolster mounted brake controller is installed. Frustrating and not an owner friendly decision by GM.

Well that really sucks. Why does GM have to make everything so dang hard to upgrade using Factory Parts? Not owner friendly at all.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
Yep, it really is messed up. Sell a towing package as a whole not piecemeal. I would almost bet that if the Tahoe didn't come from the factory with a trailer hitch, those idiots would build you a truck with a brake controller with no hitch if you punched in the right option codes. Kinda like back in the late seventies I seen a brand new Buick Light blue with a green interior, a fat finger special.

Finish the job GM make it a complete package.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score

No it also has the railer gain settings, it actually jumps to it after the "trailer connected" msg

Ron

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
these are the trailer RPOs that I found in my vehicle:

JL1: CONTROL,INTEGRATED TRAILER BRAKE
VR4: TRAILER HITCH(WEIGHT DISTRIBUTING PLATFORM)

Ron

Ok I have both of those and I also have :

Z82: Trailering Package (Special) Reese Type Hitch

So if I have JL1 does that mean I am already wired for the brake control in the knee bolster or does it mean something else?

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I have both of those and I also have :

Z82: Trailering Package (Special) Reese Type Hitch

So if I have JL1 does that mean I am already wired for the brake control in the knee bolster or does it mean something else?

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

Well, the JL1 is the trailer brake "system", mybest bet is that you should see the gain settings in the DIC

The Z82, my best bet is, that that is just a different style hitch.

You don't see the "manual" brake setting control? it is a "slider" with a + and a - button, plus a button that makes the DIC menu jump to the "trailer gain page"

Ron

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't see the "manual" brake setting control? it is a "slider" with a + and a - button, plus a button that makes the DIC menu jump to the "trailer gain page"

Ron

I don't see the slider in the knee bolster because I do not have it. That is why I am trying to figure out if I can get a bolster with it and plug it in or not? It makes no sense to me at all that I get the factory hitch but no brake controller????

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo