2013 Tahoe With Crazy Nav Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike, I looked around and did not see any trouble shooting guide for these, none in my shop manual, nothing online after a quick search. I reckon it either has to be reprogrammed or repaired or replaced. Hopefully, someone else will chime in who knows about them.

OP
OP
Ebay Mike

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I unplugged the amp and drove the truck all day yesterday without the radio. Hooked it back up last night and it worked fine sitting in the driveway for over 1/2 hour. This morning I went to the bank and while sitting in line the radio turned itself off? I pushed the power button and it came back on for about 10 minutes and then it turned itself off again. Push the power button and it came right back on. This is where it is at right now. Tonight I am going to unplug the amp and try the radio without the amp plugged in to see if it is an amp issue or a radio issue. 99% sure it is not a wiring issue. To be continued!

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

OP
OP
Ebay Mike

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would you agree that it seems as if when something heats up it starts causing problems? I would think something in the radio is your culprit.

No because I sat in the driveway for over 1/2 hour with the radio on and it worked perfectly. It seems to be an issue after it is being driven so I keep thinking the VSS wire? But since I know nothing about wiring on new vehicles I do not have a clue. I am used to working on 1967/68 Mustangs which are SOOOO Much Easier!

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

OP
OP
Ebay Mike

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I unplugged the amp yesterday and drove it to work and the same thing happened. After 10 minutes of driving it turned itself off and came right back on when I hit the power button. So today I cut the wire to the VSS to see if it had any effect and then drove it to work with the same results. This pretty much rules out everything but the radio. This weekend I plan on swapping the original radio back in to see if the issue goes away. Does anyone know a place that will repair these Navigation radios and not just exchange them? I checked at the dealership I work at on our source wants $990 exchange which is the dealership cost (Nearly $1400 public cost) so that is out of the question. I would buy another radio and pay to have it programmed long before I spent that kind of money. Suggestions?????

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

OP
OP
Ebay Mike

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I put the original radio back in and drove it for a few days and everything worked as it should. I pulled the original radio back out and reinstalled the nav radio using a different conversion harness. I only hooked up the conversion and the antenna and nothing else. Now the radio works as it should and no longer turns itself off however now whenever I turn the truck off and restart it the radio clock resets itself to 12:00. It does it every time I open the door but if I turn the radio off and then turn it back on a short time later the clock holds the time. It has been suggested that I may need to hook the GPS antenna back up for the clock to get a signal to hold the time so I will try that this weekend. Weird and this radio issue is driving me crazy. I am about ready to pull the nav radio out and put the original radio back in and call it done! This is just too much craziness for me to deal with right now!

Suggestions or solutions are greatly appreciated!

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

OP
OP
Ebay Mike

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I think I need to learn more patience! I finally pulled the Nav radio back out and plugged in the GPS antenna and then drove the truck to work this morning. When I stopped for gas and turned the truck off the radio kept playing like it should and when I opened the door it turned off. Shockingly when I got back in the truck and restarted it the clock had held the correct time instead of resetting to 12:00! Maybe Ron was right and I just needed the GPS antenna to fix the clock issue. That is why I came here was to get help from people who are much smarter than I am. Thanks.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

KBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to see that was all it needed. Was the nav unit used? Did you have to have it reprogrammed to make it work in yours?

OP
OP
Ebay Mike

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to see that was all it needed. Was the nav unit used? Did you have to have it reprogrammed to make it work in yours?

Yes it came out of a 2013 GMC Sierra and yes I sent it to OEM GM Radios and had it programmed and I had the back-up camera turned on as well. Now only if I could get that to work right!

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Franny