2013 Tahoe Front and Rear Hellwig sway bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rdhogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 Tahoe Hellwig front bar.jpg 2013 Tahoe Hellwig front bar clearance.jpg 2013 Tahoe Hellwig front bar and link.jpg I wanted to follow up on my project to replace my front and rear sway bars. Many thanks to the members of the 'Forum' that offered suggestions on brand's and install hints. I selected the Hellwig brand sway bars because they seemed to be the most popular choice among the members, good quality and decent price. I will show the final install pictures, the mfg included instructions but the YouTube videos were more helpful. The Front Bar (part #7685) instructions indicated that if you had a 6 speed tranny you needed to order spacers (part #7799) for clearance for the trans cooing lines, NOT so , pictures to follow. The front bar did require ordering new end links. I went with Mevotech TTX over Moog, ( just a flip of the coin decision). The Rear Bar (part #7707) and it came complete with awesome adjustable end links. I did worry about how they were going to ship the bars being that they were very heavy and awkward. The box was sturdy and all install hardware was in a box glued to the inside of the Bar box. All shipping was no problem except for the Rear Bar ( picture of the box as it arrive at my door, via UPS) the box was destroyed, bar was hanging out and a the powder coating was little scuffed but still ok. Net, Net pleased with the quality of Hellwig Bars. One recommendation that came in very handy was using a floor jack (or helper) to hold the bar in place as you attached the bar to the frame. I didn't had a helper and being 74, I could not hold it up with one hand and attach the mounting hardware with the other, ha. ( I am having trouble attaching additional Pictures, I will try including more later
View attachment 277190 2013 Tahoe Hellwig rear bar 2.jpg 2013 Tahoe Hellwig rear bar and link installed.jpg

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 277183 View attachment 277185 View attachment 277187 I wanted to follow up on my project to replace my front and rear sway bars. Many thanks to the members of the 'Forum' that offered suggestions on brand's and install hints. I selected the Hellwig brand sway bars because they seemed to be the most popular choice among the members, good quality and decent price. I will show the final install pictures, the mfg included instructions but the YouTube videos were more helpful. The Front Bar (part #7685) instructions indicated that if you had a 6 speed tranny you needed to order spacers (part #7799) for clearance for the trans cooing lines, NOT so , pictures to follow. The front bar did require ordering new end links. I went with Mevotech TTX over Moog, ( just a flip of the coin decision). The Rear Bar (part #7707) and it came complete with awesome adjustable end links. I did worry about how they were going to ship the bars being that they were very heavy and awkward. The box was sturdy and all install hardware was in a box glued to the inside of the Bar box. All shipping was no problem except for the Rear Bar ( picture of the box as it arrive at my door, via UPS) the box was destroyed, bar was hanging out and a the powder coating was little scuffed but still ok. Net, Net pleased with the quality of Hellwig Bars. One recommendation that came in very handy was using a floor jack (or helper) to hold the bar in place as you attached the bar to the frame. I didn't had a helper and being 74, I could not hold it up with one hand and attach the mounting hardware with the other, ha. ( I am having trouble attaching additional Pictures, I will try including more later
View attachment 277190 View attachment 277197 View attachment 277198

Congratulations on your Hellwig sway bar purchase and installation. Great choice!

I installed the spacers on the front sway bar U-brackets on my truck as per the instructions, though I agree that they looked like they were not needed. Since these sway bars also fit related GM pickup trucks, I am wondering if the spacer requirement is directly related to those pickup trucks that have the 6-speed transmission.

I know exactly what you mean, when you talk abound needing another 'hand' to lift and secure the front sway bar in place. They are damn heavy! I tried lifting one side using my my legs wedged into the lower control arms, while lifting the other side with my hands, while lying on a creeper under my truck. Fail! I ended up doing what you did, bungeeing the sway bar at its center to a floor jack, and then 'lifted' it into place.

I'm really interested in hearing from you regarding your performance assessment of the Hellwig sway bars, once you get the chance to take the truck out on the road for some trials. Both myself and @PNW VietVet picked out some familiar roads with some twists and turns and also a familiar cloverleaf exit ramp, where we knew very well the performance characteristics of our trucks with the OEM sway bars, and then tested with the Hellwig sway bars. We both noticed a dramatic performance improvement.

Let us know the results of your assessment.

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
One of these days enough members here will have the Hellwig Bars and we will have to have our own separate thread about nothing but Hellwig. I am thinking about taking my bravest buddy with me for a ride and have him do a video. Hell we all should do videos about these amazing kits.

OP
OP
rdhogg

rdhogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on your Hellwig sway bar purchase and installation. Great choice!

I installed the spacers on the front sway bar U-brackets on my truck as per the instructions, though I agree that they looked like they were not needed. Since these sway bars also fit related GM pickup trucks, I am wondering if the spacer requirement is directly related to those pickup trucks that have the 6-speed transmission.

I know exactly what you mean, when you talk abound needing another 'hand' to lift and secure the front sway bar in place. They are damn heavy! I tried lifting one side using my my legs wedged into the lower control arms, while lifting the other side with my hands, while lying on a creeper under my truck. Fail! I ended up doing what you did, bungeeing the sway bar at its center to a floor jack, and then 'lifted' it into place.

I'm really interested in hearing from you regarding your performance assessment of the Hellwig sway bars, once you get the chance to take the truck out on the road for some trials. Both myself and @PNW VietVet picked out some familiar roads with some twists and turns and also a familiar cloverleaf exit ramp, where we knew very well the performance characteristics of our trucks with the OEM sway bars, and then tested with the Hellwig sway bars. We both noticed a dramatic performance improvement.

Let us know the results of your assessment.
So far the performance improvement is awesome , I have yet been able to take it on a twisting road , but the roads that I have been on I have noticed a great improvement, The rear bar gave me the most trouble installing it, I almost striped out a body mount bolt , but I recovered before I got in trouble , ha. My wife thinks it rides rougher , but I told her it was the road we were on, LOL.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the Hotchkis Bars last spring.. I didn't have to do or add anything
that the kit didn't contain.. No spacers or adjustments.. Just bolt em on and
go... I do, now, have a bunch of dang grease zerks I have to maintain though!!
I did them when I did my headers and supercharger at the same time.. so
had a whole bunch of crap taken apart already

OP
OP
rdhogg

rdhogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Texas Veteerans Classic Car and Military Show17.jpg
One of these days enough members here will have the Hellwig Bars and we will have to have our own separate thread about nothing but Hellwig. I am thinking about taking my bravest buddy with me for a ride and have him do a video. Hell we all should do videos about these amazing kits.
After the Hellwig install, I have only taken short trips so far, and not some real twisty roads yet, but I anxious to put it to the test. Let me thank you for your service on the Kitty Hawk, "go Navy". My dad was a Naval Aviator in WWII flew F6F Hellcats , he ended up on the USS Makin Island CVE-93 after he and four others were returning to the Saratoga after a mission to find it had taken 5 kamikazes and was too damaged to land on. He is 95 now and still wears his Navy hat where ever he goes, and loves telling Navy stories.

Texas Veteerans Classic Car and Military Show17.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14

Latest posts