2013 Suburban LTZ...LED lights. arrrggg....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 Suburban LTZ. Wanted to upgrade to LEDs. Kinda regretting it. I bought new stock type housings/lens. LEDs don't work great in projector headlight housings and I did not want to go HID. So stock type housing and LED bulbs. Color looks great but low beams are not brighter as in down the road distance. High beams better. But two other issues I am hoping someone can advise. The daytime LED lights go on but after several minutes start timing out individually as if they are overheating and popping back on??? So now I have blinking running lights!! Also the amber turn signals don't have the resistance so they are hyper flashing. At first I did care but the relay is too loud and annoying now so hyper flash has to go.
Thoughts -experiences -advice??

Thanks

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
2013 Suburban LTZ. Wanted to upgrade to LEDs. Kinda regretting it. I bought new stock type housings/lens. LEDs don't work great in projector headlight housings and I did not want to go HID. So stock type housing and LED bulbs. Color looks great but low beams are not brighter as in down the road distance. High beams better. But two other issues I am hoping someone can advise. The daytime LED lights go on but after several minutes start timing out individually as if they are overheating and popping back on??? So now I have blinking running lights!! Also the amber turn signals don't have the resistance so they are hyper flashing. At first I did care but the relay is too loud and annoying now so hyper flash has to go.
Thoughts -experiences -advice??

Thanks

You say the DRL LEDs "start timing out individually".

Are you saying that the individual LEDs on the bulbs are turning on and off (flickering) OR are you saying the entire bulb goes off and on?

As for the hyperflash there is two ways of solving this...

The cheap way = Adding resistors to the turn signal circuits to make the BCM "think" there is a regular, incandescent, bulb in the socket.

The right way = Having the BCM reprogrammed to be LED compatible by these guys...

BT DieselWorks, custom BCM tuning
https://www.btdieselworks.com/colle...ing/products/bt-dieselworks-custom-bcm-tuning

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are there resistors bulit in to the LED's.

LED headlights are simply not as bright.

My LEDs supplied by JDM Astar are much brighter than the stock incandescent lights. In a perfect world, I would like a better light pattern spread, particularly with the high beams, but for brightness itself, for me, there is no comparison.

I do have hyperflash with my LEDs, but I actually believe that the faster rate of flash actually draws greater attention from other drivers on the road, a situation that flashing directional indicators were actually designed to do. I have been told though through third party sources (I have not personally verified) that hyperflash is not legal in some states.

OP
OP
Seamus

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You say the DRL LEDs "start timing out individually".

Are you saying that the individual LEDs on the bulbs are turning on and off (flickering) OR are you saying the entire bulb goes off and on?

As for the hyperflash there is two ways of solving this...

The cheap way = Adding resistors to the turn signal circuits to make the BCM "think" there is a regular, incandescent, bulb in the socket.

The right way = Having the BCM reprogrammed to be LED compatible by these guys...

BT DieselWorks, custom BCM tuning
https://www.btdieselworks.com/colle...ing/products/bt-dieselworks-custom-bcm-tuning

The entire daytime run lamp bulb goes on and after several minutes will turn off and less than a minute go back on for over a minute. So they each do this and it looks like it is blinking however very slowly. The turn signal I understand needs a resistor or an LED relay that will not hyper flash. It's 9 dollars for the relay on eBay. . The daytime running lights are just on then will do this blinking thing???

Thanks

OP
OP
Seamus

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree but going to HIDs and all that goes with it was no option. The high beams are much better than stock but the beam and distance on these low beams sucks. Now I am told that the 4 sided LED bulbs address the beam and shadows or brightness???? What a PITA this has become.
Thanks
Are there resistors bulit in to the LED's.

LED headlights are simply not as bright.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
The entire bulb goes on and after several minutes will turn off and less than a minute go back on for over a minute. So they each do this and it looks like it is blinking however very slowly. The turn signal I understand needs a resistor or an LED relay that will not hyper flash. It's 9 dollars for the relay on eBay. . The daytime running lights are just on then will do this blinking thing???

Thanks

What brand LED bulbs did you install in the DRLs???

Also, these trucks don't have a flasher relay so there isn't anyway to install an LED compatible flasher... everything is controlled by the BCM... save your $9 and buy resistors or get the BCM reprogrammed. If you decide to go the BCM reprogramming route there are many things that can be modified while they are doing it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the relay noise you hear is just a "fake" made by the bcm you can turn the volume down in the dic menu. With that being said I love my HID's :p

OP
OP
Seamus

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the relay noise you hear is just a "fake" made by the bcm you can turn the volume down in the dic menu. With that being said I love my HID's :p

Thanks brother. Yep, I hear the clicking and figured there's a relay under the dash somewhere! LOL If I can lower the volume as you said that will probably be fine...but at its current volume it drives me crazy.

OP
OP
Seamus

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What brand LED bulbs did you install in the DRLs???

Also, these trucks don't have a flasher relay so there isn't anyway to install an LED compatible flasher... everything is controlled by the BCM... save your $9 and buy resistors or get the BCM reprogrammed. If you decide to go the BCM reprogramming route there are many things that can be modified while they are doing it.

These:https://www.ebay.com/itm/254203582094?ul_noapp=true

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645