2013 GMC Yukon XL 2500 - moving up from 2001 GMC Yukon XL Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

jsoltren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome! My wife is Cat 1 mtb, I was always Cat 2 but might to Cat 1 this year with her just to help with start time logistics. Have 4 young kids, last year my 8 year old boy was racing Junior 10-14 class, and two of my girls did some kids races. I go overboard customizing kids bikes :D

Our oldest is 5 and hasn't quite mastered a two wheeler yet.

I just read your build thread. Thanks for sharing. I'll probably keep mine bone stock. Cute that you put the 2500 HD badge on yours. I'm considering a "Texas Edition" badge for mine. Does yours have a second row bench or bucket seats? With four kids I'm guessing you went buckets?

I wanted the bench because with three kids you can put them in row 2, remove row 3, and get maximum cargo payload and space. But I caved and got a local one.

I'll talk about my purchase in a later post. I "only" had to drive 90 minutes to San Antonio and spend 11:30am to 6:30pm at the dealer with the family to get everything sorted. I thought about getting an old cop car 2500 in Chicago - sure glad I didn't with that polar vortex! Mine's a one owner Texas truck, as clean as they get (don't think it was garaged, though).

We don't own any mountain bikes. Maybe one day.

Matt_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just read your build thread. Thanks for sharing. I'll probably keep mine bone stock. Cute that you put the 2500 HD badge on yours. I'm considering a "Texas Edition" badge for mine. Does yours have a second row bench or bucket seats? With four kids I'm guessing you went buckets?

I have 2nd row bench because I wanted room for 2 additional passengers. Honestly wish they had a first row bench in a higher trim package...

OP
OP
J

jsoltren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2nd row bench because I wanted room for 2 additional passengers. Honestly wish they had a first row bench in a higher trim package...

It's not that hard to find a second row bench if that's what I'm after. Easier than finding the truck in the first place that's for sure. I figured if the captain's chairs ended up being too troublesome, I could easily find a bench from any GMT900 SUV and pop it in. The color match would be tricky, and I'd likely lose power fold and seat heaters. Oh well.

Does the first row jump seat not fit with higher level trim driver/passenger seats?

Matt_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2nd row bench has power fold and heaters.... I bet you'd be able to keep them if you found an equivalent trim to swap.

I've never looked into fitting a 1st row jump seat. I guess it could be done but I don't think they made them in leather so itll be a lot more work to make it match; not worth the money and effort for one more seat... plus I'll NEVER give up my cooled seat (a feature I didnt know I wanted till I owned one lol)

OP
OP
J

jsoltren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2nd row bench has power fold and heaters.... I bet you'd be able to keep them if you found an equivalent trim to swap.

I've never looked into fitting a 1st row jump seat. I guess it could be done but I don't think they made them in leather so itll be a lot more work to make it match; not worth the money and effort for one more seat... plus I'll NEVER give up my cooled seat (a feature I didnt know I wanted till I owned one lol)

A decent leather shop should be able to fabricate compatible covers. GM's leather colors are well known and readily available to upholsterers. At least the GMT900s have a single tone of leather. My Denali had two tone leather and one of the colors was discontinued. I found this out the hard way after I paid $$$ for new driver's seat covers, and $$$ to have them installed, only to realize that the base was synthetic leather and not real leather.

There are what look like leather covers for the jump seats available on the big auction site.

Reaction score
How does a 2nd row bench get you room for 2 additional passengers over buckets?

My 2001 has a 2nd row bench but only 3 seatbelts/room for 3

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

Matt_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does a 2nd row bench get you room for 2 additional passengers over buckets?

My 2001 has a 2nd row bench but only 3 seatbelts/room for 3

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

2 additional passengers in addition to our family of 6, not 2 additional passengers over buckets. With buckets we can only bring 1 more person. So say I'm watching one of our pairs of nieces/nephews (my sis has 2 kids and SIL has 2 kids), we'd need to take 2 vehicles anywhere. Or same with bringing my parents out.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 additional passengers in addition to our family of 6, not 2 additional passengers over buckets. With buckets we can only bring 1 more person. So say I'm watching one of our pairs of nieces/nephews (my sis has 2 kids and SIL has 2 kids), we'd need to take 2 vehicles anywhere. Or same with bringing my parents out.

Nobody has stuffed 9 or more kids in theirs before? I'm married to a Puerto Rican woman, our seven passenger van regularly hauled 7-9 or more around! LOL Back in the 1970s, we kids used to ride in the back of our dad's pickups cause most of them just had a bench so the 3-4 adults would squeeze in there together and the rest of us piled into the bed, fun days! Don't think we've had more than seven in the truck yet though come to think of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz