2013 GMC Yukon XL 2500 - moving up from 2001 GMC Yukon XL Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the differentials I use ACDelco original fluids. As for the spare in the rotation, that would disrupt the evening out of the tread on a pair of tires on the rear that got messed up while on the front. Then only one will get straightened out at a time which would surely result in a pull and or crooked steering wheel.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes (since it's a 2500), but (according to RPO codes) a steel rim that doesn't match.

If you already knew you had a fullsize spare, then why did you type this?

For sure. I'd love to have a full sized spare - so I may look to see if there are any cheap single wheels available and get a like tire for it, since I think all the other tires are new. I'd really like for tire rotations to be through the spare, like they are on Jeeps - why don't we all do this?

IMHO, there's no reason to do a 5-tire rotation. I own two Wranglers, and I do 5-tire rotations on both of them, but I see no need to do it on my trucks. You don't save any money. Any additional life you get out of a set of tires is completely canceled out by the cost of the fifth tire. And besides, with modern tire technology, flats and blowouts are extremely rare occurrences. I think the last time I had to change a tire on the side of the road was 1995. In the extremely unlikely event it happened now, I'd be most inclined to call AAA and just sit in my warm truck and wait for the tow truck.

OP
OP
J

jsoltren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you already knew you had a fullsize spare, then why did you type this?

What I meant was, "I want my spare wheel to match the other wheels", and, "the four main tires are new but the spare is not, might be time to replace it too".

I was also thinking briefly of my 2001 Denali, since it does have a (slightly) different sized spare rim and tire. I did buy a new spare tire for it when I replaced the four mains, since the original 2001 spare had been sitting out in the Texas sun ever since. :)

OP
OP
J

jsoltren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided to go Mobil 1 75W-90 for my differentials. Partially for cost, partially for availability. I've got a bottle of LSD grip additive for my G80 handy if I need it. I've been super happy with Mobil1 in my old LQ4 engine, so I'm hoping it serves well in the 2500's engine and differentials.

I'm really looking forward to the transmission fluid flush. I get a lot of vibration when stopped but shifted into park. Shifting into neutral makes it better. In the old Denali the LQ4/4L85E combo did not do this.

OP
OP
J

jsoltren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In general I feel like the 2013 truck is really heavily decontented from the 2001 Denali. It's a bunch of little things. The visors - we went from two to one. The door panels - the old one has door lights, leather on the door, softer arm rests. All the plastics and grab handles in the older one feel more substantial. The free standing radio antenna is less aerodynamic but gets way better reception.

I really prefer the new hitch mount style, though it's like six inches higher so I need a new hitch.

Little things like this make me not want to get rid of the 2001 Denali. But I don't want to spend any more time or money maintaining it, and the cash would be nice.

OP
OP
J

jsoltren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a quick example of the de-contenting I was talking about: a glimpse of the passenger door panels in the 2001Yukon XL Denali (gray) and 2013 Yukon XL 2500 (tan). Granted, the 2013 is not a Denali, and I would have picked up a base trim if it were available. But it's really made me appreciate the Denali I really miss the red and white door light.

IMG_20190204_094825.jpg IMG_20190208_134357.jpg

The door light is easy enough to take care of by adding a reflector. I have red-white reflective tape which I can cut to shape. Here's what it looks like on our 2013 Nissan Leaf, I'll do something similar for the 2500.

IMG_20190208_091920.jpg

(Driving around a Nissan Leaf much of time - a 100% electric vehicle, no gas - helps me feel less bad about the 13 MPG that the trucks get.)

OP
OP
J

jsoltren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time to start talking about the search process. In this post I'll briefly discuss why I chose a 2500 SUV, and specifically, a late model one. I'll briefly discuss the different options available, and what I was looking for.

When I undertake a major purchase such as a vehicle I divide it into two stages. There is "shopping" and "procuring". "Shopping" means exhaustively searching the available options and solidify what I'm after. "Procuring" means going and getting what I'm after in the best time and cost available with the lowest risk. This post focuses on "shopping".

GM has offered some form of 3/4-ton full size SUVs to the public since the '60s. I personally prefer to focus on the GMT800 (2000-2006) and GMT900 (2007-2013) platform trucks for a few reasons, which are all personal preference. Fuel injected engines are more economical. I prefer the spare tire to be under the bumper, not in the cab. I prefer an unobstructed rear view which means no barn doors. I want everyone to have a shoulder belt available. There are some benefits to the GMT400 and earlier for some, like diesel engines and being aged out of emissions. But in part I wanted a modern family hauler and that meant a more recent vehicle.

Focusing on the GMT800 and GMT900, these were offered as the Chevrolet Suburban 2500 and GMC Yukon XL 2500 in a bunch of different trim levels. Broadly speaking, they are divided as follows:

6.0L LQ4 engine, 4L80E transmission, GMT800 (2000-2006, though, I'd avoid the iron heads on the 2000)
6.0L LQ4 engine, 4L80E transmission, GMT800, Quadrasteer! (2003-2006)
8.1L L18 engine, 4L85E transmission, GMT800 (2001-2006)
6.0L LY6 engine, 4L80E transmission, GMT900 (2007)
6.0L LY6 engine, 6L90 transmission, GMT900 (2008-2013)

I've test driven variants of all of these. The 8.1L seems like the truest representation of what a 2500 gas SUV should be: gobs of torque, quiet, smooth, super reliable. I had a blast test driving it. But, at best, it's still a twelve year old vehicle. It does use more fuel.

The 6.0L engines with the four speed transmission felt a little bogged down but power was adequate. That's always been true of the LQ4/LY6 iron blocks, I feel: adequate, but only just. I think that's the GM way. On an Excursion you need the 6.8L (or the diesel) to get it moving. The 6.0L feels well matched to these 2500 SUV as it does to the 2500 and 3500 vans and the 1500HD pickups. The six speed transmission is something of a game changer for these: the lower ratio in first for starting - and higher ratio in sixth for highway cruising - keep the engine in a better range. The power is there, but, you need to ask for it, by pressing the gas pedal hard. It's not so jumpy but it definitely delivers. By contrast my 2001 Denali, a 1500 truck with an LQ4 and AWD, was very eager to get off the line.

The six speed was a "must have" for me, so, this focused the search on the 2008-2013 2500 trucks. That's all the better: older vehicles just have all sorts of cracked hoses and failing sensors that need constant attention. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but time starved with a day job and three young children, so I wanted something "nice".

I could have picked up an 8.1L for half what I paid for the one I eventually got. It was about as nice an example of one as I could have hoped for. I ended up passing on it. It's listed for sale locally here in the Austin, TX area if someone else wants to jump on it! DM me if you do, I did a pre-purchase inspection on it.

I prefer the exterior styling of the newer GMT900 body but the interior of the GMT800 body. Specifically, I really love the way the GMT800 can get you a true 4' by 8' flat bed. Nothing else can do this. Other than the bodies, the GMT800 and GMT900 trucks are exceeding similar with nearly identical frames and suspension arrangements.

I've not tested Quadrasteer. But at this point I was about set on the newer body style, so, no sense worrying about it.

Given the rarity I was sort of ambivalent about trims and seating. My preference would have been tan leather with a second row bench. But I was flexible here and would have taken something with cloth seats and vinyl floors if everything else worked out.

In a later post I'll discuss the actual "procuring" process, with a special focus on the trends I found and how to buy a truck remotely. Thanks for reading!

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In general I feel like the 2013 truck is really heavily decontented from the 2001 Denali. It's a bunch of little things. The visors - we went from two to one. The door panels - the old one has door lights, leather on the door, softer arm rests. All the plastics and grab handles in the older one feel more substantial. The free standing radio antenna is less aerodynamic but gets way better reception.

I really prefer the new hitch mount style, though it's like six inches higher so I need a new hitch.

Little things like this make me not want to get rid of the 2001 Denali. But I don't want to spend any more time or money maintaining it, and the cash would be nice.

Also coming from an '01, not a Denali, I was comparing GMT800 to GMT900. You quibbles are relatively minor, compared to what you get on the 900 platform that wasn't even offered on the 800s- remote start, quad heated seats, power/remote tailgate, power/tumbling middle row seats, backup camera (no more spotter needed to hitch up!), six speed, etc. I'll take those upgrades every day and twice on Sunday, even if the "cost" is that I don't have courtesy lights in the interior door panels, and less-robust interior door handles. Mine is a 3LT, and with the exception of not having the beverage cooler and heated steering wheel, it's equipped just like an Escalade.

Get a Blackbear or equivalent tune to remove some of the torque management. I've never felt my 2500 was ever underpowered. She wants to run - the harder I press the gas, the faster and more urgently she accelerates. I'd gladly drag race you in your '01, and I guarantee I'll walk away from you, to 100 MPH and beyond. We've logged many hours of driving - cruising at 90 MPH across the country, and she is dead-nuts stable and quiet.

OP
OP
J

jsoltren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also coming from an '01, not a Denali, I was comparing GMT800 to GMT900. You quibbles are relatively minor, compared to what you get on the 900 platform that wasn't even offered on the 800s- remote start, quad heated seats, power/remote tailgate, power/tumbling middle row seats, backup camera (no more spotter needed to hitch up!), six speed, etc. I'll take those upgrades every day and twice on Sunday, even if the "cost" is that I don't have courtesy lights in the interior door panels, and less-robust interior door handles. Mine is a 3LT, and with the exception of not having the beverage cooler and heated steering wheel, it's equipped just like an Escalade.

For sure. I ended up getting an SLT and it's loaded. Zero regrets. Interesting to see exactly where GM spent money and cut corners in the GMT900, and how they loaded every feature available at the time in the GMT800. But I'm saving all that for a later post.

Get a Blackbear or equivalent tune to remove some of the torque management. I've never felt my 2500 was ever underpowered. She wants to run - the harder I press the gas, the faster and more urgently she accelerates. I'd gladly drag race you in your '01, and I guarantee I'll walk away from you, to 100 MPH and beyond. We've logged many hours of driving - cruising at 90 MPH across the country, and she is dead-nuts stable and quiet.

First the basics (fluids, shocks), then lots of driving, then maybe the tune.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe