2012 Tahoe rear 1.5 lift shock question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redshift

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have ordered a 1.5 inch rear spacer set for the rear. I see listed in many places that the bilstein 5100s rear are for a 0-1 inch lift. I have seen plenty of other shock choices: skyjacker, BDS, ProComp, Rancho, Fox etc that offer shocks that will cover the 1.5 inch range.

My question is, does the half an inch extra cause the 5100 to over extend over time? Any other shock choices folks prefer for a decent ride that is not too harsh and "crashy" feeling?

thank you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
redshift

redshift

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just thought of another related rabbit hole: Hydraulic VS gas charged shocks. New thread?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
usually people do a 2" spacer upfront, is the rear sagging? do you have the standard shocks or is it air ride?

OP
OP
redshift

redshift

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
usually people do a 2" spacer upfront, is the rear sagging? do you have the standard shocks or is it air ride?
Yup I have a 2 inch spacer up front as well.
I just am not sure about the rear shock sizing. bilstein 5100 goes to 1inch lift supposedly. Is the extra .5 inch going to stress the shock out over time? I know there are alternatives with more travel, like skyjacker, BDS, procomp etc.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup I have a 2 inch spacer up front as well.
I just am not sure about the rear shock sizing. bilstein 5100 goes to 1inch lift supposedly. Is the extra .5 inch going to stress the shock out over time? I know there are alternatives with more travel, like skyjacker, BDS, procomp etc.
@redshift you might be able to get away with it but just in case I would get rear shock extenders to have on hand just in case, when you get it all pulled apart look and see if the shock will reach and if not just install the shock extender. You want to have the shocks ride right in the middle of their travel cycle for them to be the most effective.

OP
OP
redshift

redshift

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@redshift you might be able to get away with it but just in case I would get rear shock extenders to have on hand just in case, when you get it all pulled apart look and see if the shock will reach and if not just install the shock extender. You want to have the shocks ride right in the middle of their travel cycle for them to be the most effective.
A shock extender, now why did I not know of such a thing. Ok interesting. Thankyou.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about how much the 5100 can take they are good shocks for the money, sometimes people will put a spacer in the coil springs or you can change the springs out for ones that will give you that extra 1 1 .5 there are some on rock auto that are reasonable.

OP
OP
redshift

redshift

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@redshift They're usually included with cheap lifts like rough country but they should get you by if you need. Best of luck keep us posted.
Will do. Thanks again for the extender suggestion. In looking into it I see why they are a thing in some lift kits. Allows you to keep existing shocks, although the lack of travel (especially droop) when lifting something is less than optimal, it does get you by.

OP
OP
redshift

redshift

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ok just order a pair of es9000s because they are low cost and I'm curious. I have run Bilstein 5100s before on my Tacoma and yup they are very nice but lets see how these are......dun dun dun!
I almost went crazy and ordered the skyjacker black max HYDRAULIC shocks so I could pretend my Tahoe is from the 70s but I couldn't quite do it. I'm almost regretting not trying to see what it would be like.