2012 Escalade ESV - 175k -do I dare?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Esky or not, no way I'd pay almost 17k for a truck with 175k on the clock.

I bet they only gave him $7500 for it on trade in.

When I traded in my LTZ with 99k on the clock I fought them to get 11k on trade in and all of the maintenance was done.

I paid 13k for a 2010 Tahoe PPV (federal truck) that was super clean and only had 67k on the clock.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$3500 more to get an Escalade that's 2 years newer and likely loaded over a barren PPV which probably had much more abuse than the Escalade even with 100k more miles? I'll take the Escalade all day.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
$3500 more to get an Escalade that's 2 years newer and likely loaded over a barren PPV which probably had much more abuse than the Escalade even with 100k more miles? I'll take the Escalade all day.

Different strokes for different folks.

PPV - HD everything and a shit ton less electronic shit to break, hence the reason I pass on the high mileage Esky.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I reckon so. Sorry, but I just don’t see the allure. They’re used hard, abused, idled all the time (even more if it’s a K9), have no interior, might smell like a dog, and don’t make sense money wise if you start trying to civilianize it since these trucks are all so cheap these days.

The electrical stuff is basically the same under the skin and the stuff that is different really doesn’t break that much. I just looked up a 13 PPV to refresh my memory and nothing is really that heavy duty as far as I can tell. Most of the stuff they added like the cooling stuff is standard on 6.2L trucks as far as I am aware. The 5.3L is the same and still has AFM so that’s certainly no better. Transmission is the same. Not sure which rear end a PPV has but if it is upgraded it is probably the standard for the 6.2L trucks. The dash still cracks. The larger generator, shocks, springs, and brake pads are the only real differences I’m seeing. Everyone says Mag Ride rides rough too and it has the auto leveling in the rear so I don’t see an advantage either way here.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I reckon so. Sorry, but I just don’t see the allure. They’re used hard, abused, idled all the time (even more if it’s a K9), have no interior, might smell like a dog, and don’t make sense money wise if you start trying to civilianize it since these trucks are all so cheap these days.

The electrical stuff is basically the same under the skin and the stuff that is different really doesn’t break that much. I just looked up a 13 PPV to refresh my memory and nothing is really that heavy duty as far as I can tell. Most of the stuff they added like the cooling stuff is standard on 6.2L trucks as far as I am aware. The 5.3L is the same and still has AFM so that’s certainly no better. Transmission is the same. Not sure which rear end a PPV has but if it is upgraded it is probably the standard for the 6.2L trucks. The dash still cracks. The larger generator, shocks, springs, and brake pads are the only real differences I’m seeing. Everyone says Mag Ride rides rough too and it has the auto leveling in the rear so I don’t see an advantage either way here.

Not going to civilianize it........I would have just bought another LTZ, the only thing I miss is the moonroof.

There are many differences, not really the place to hash that out. Looks up the front brake rotors.

jackD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The only way I would buy a vehicle with that high mileage would be a one owner with fully documented maintenance.

And don’t pay a premium. Miles are miles.

Jungle Jack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Perhaps it is coming from Land Cruisers, but sub 200k miles does not phase me. Moreover, it is not too difficult to find 900 variants with stupid miles on them. I reckon some of this to be both the relatively high purchase price of the vehicle and simply keeping these things with fuel mostly ensures decentish service histories on many.

I get that in terms of valuations that is the number one question asked on the whole. However, mine were accident/service history followed closely by ensuring there was no rust. Thankfully, that is quite easy in Oregon as most parts of the state cars are rust free.
On the flip, cars do cost more but money well spent compared to the scourge that is rust.

jackD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Buying a vehicle like this you just need to accept that you will have a fair number of repairs. It’s not likely to be easy free sailing.

At that mileage I’d budget a rear main seal, oil pick up o ring and trans service in one shot. Then fluids for diff and transfer case.

I’m looking for a Denali/Burb/Escalade and these vehicles definitely have a lot of owners ignoring maintenance.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there is an esky I drove in dallas when I was looking and bought my yukon. had 125k on it, they were asking 19500, few things wrong but nothing major, I bought this Yukon instead and it can be yours if you really wanted it. HAHA... 84k miles... 21k All service records.

The used market on these are going up instead of down it seems.

Denali1.jpg Denali2.jpg

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have these things really appreciated that much?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518