2011 Yukon..Transmission shot... worth replacing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt81

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So here’s my story... purchased a 2011 Yukon 3 years ago. I have a balance of $8,000 left on the loan. Recently the transmission started making some noise and had it checked out at the local dealership. They told me it’s shot and given the age and mileage of the car it’s not worth replacing. The estimate was 5300 to replace tranny.

my car now has 170,000 miles and I never had an issue until now. Even though it’s got 170,000 miles, the car still rides like a champ...(until my tranny situation)

so I’ve been shopping for cars lately. I checked out a new base Yukon that isn’t nearly as loaded as mine and I’m looking at 900 dollar a month payments and to be honest, I’m not looking to spend that much money on a car per month that I’m not going to own.

So I’ve been shopping for cars and to be honest, there is nothing out there that excites me like my Yukon.

so my question is, so you think it’s worth replacing the transmission on a car with 170,000 miles that I still owe 8 grand on? If I can get at least 3 more years out of this car after replacing tranny I think I will be fine. But then in the back of my mind I find myself wondering if I’m crazy for considering spending so much money on a car that has 170,000 miles.

I’m no car expert but just wondering what the thoughts of the community are on my situation. Especially the thoughts of some mechanics. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

matt

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So here’s my story... purchased a 2011 Yukon 3 years ago. I have a balance of $8,000 left on the loan. Recently the transmission started making some noise and had it checked out at the local dealership. They told me it’s shot and given the age and mileage of the car it’s not worth replacing. The estimate was 5300 to replace tranny.

my car now has 170,000 miles and I never had an issue until now. Even though it’s got 170,000 miles, the car still rides like a champ...(until my tranny situation)

so I’ve been shopping for cars lately. I checked out a new base Yukon that isn’t nearly as loaded as mine and I’m looking at 900 dollar a month payments and to be honest, I’m not looking to spend that much money on a car per month that I’m not going to own.

So I’ve been shopping for cars and to be honest, there is nothing out there that excites me like my Yukon.

so my question is, so you think it’s worth replacing the transmission on a car with 170,000 miles that I still owe 8 grand on? If I can get at least 3 more years out of this car after replacing tranny I think I will be fine. But then in the back of my mind I find myself wondering if I’m crazy for considering spending so much money on a car that has 170,000 miles.

I’m no car expert but just wondering what the thoughts of the community are on my situation. Especially the thoughts of some mechanics. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

matt
Personally, I would replace the transmission.

I had a similar situation with my 2007 Denali. At 160K, my transmission needed replacing. Cost was $4000 at the time for a GM reman that came with a 100K warranty on parts and labor. Never regretted that decision and drove that vehicle until it had 300K on the clock.

Again, my recommendation is replace it and enjoy your 2011 for many years to come.

fastscirocco

Reaction score
I would start by getting a 2nd opinion and have a transmission shop look at your truck and make sure it truly needs replacing. Dealerships seem to want to replace instead of repair, there is a possibility your trans can be repaired or rebuilt at significantly lower cost.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With having 8k left on your loan, you would be even more upside down financially if you don't fix it. It won't be an easy trade, and they will give you peanuts for a trade. The estimate for replacement is a bit high in my opinion, and I would get a second opinion as to the state of the transmission. There could be other issues causing your concerns. It would be financial suicide if you do not fix your vehicle, and besides, if you love it...fix it and keep it for the 3 years you're looking to get out of it. As you say too, it beats a $900 payment

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

thanks,

matt

A lot of really good independent mechanics outsource their transmission work to really good reasonable transmission shops. Same goes for alignment and other things.

With that said...if it were me...I would definitely fix the transmission.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
So you’ve got the 6SP 6L80 trans. Guessing you’ve got 2WD so install is less expensive than AWD or 4WD. Only a few shops are capable of properly rebuilding the orig trans which is the route I will go on my 08 AWD when it fails.

$900 a Mo is just the beginning. Ins, registration also takes a hike. Bank on $1.5k to drop in a preloved warranty trans from a wrecker. Figure $2.5k to $3.5k for a reman or a rebuild of your existing trans at an Indy shop. GM just came off a strike that has left some owners without replacement parts on newer vehicles. My buddy is dealing with this having a $800 mo payment on a 2013 3500 duramax truck he can’t drive due to a rear end collision. It’s been a month w/o body panels.

If you want out of your truck, consider the cheapest trans replacement (wrecker) and trade your 2011 in for a <2014 CPO vehicle. In 2015 things didn’t go so well on the new 8SP trans, A/C components and cabin noise/buffeting issues. Stay away from those.

Keep in mind that if you want more long distance mileage and reliability, a budget trans replacement is the way to go as it gives you a new vehicle only where needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d slam in a used trans with under 100k. Flush the cooler too before hooking anything up. Hell install an aftermarket cooler too. On Car-Part.com I’m seeing 6L80E’s for $900-1600 for ones with 50k to 75k miles. I’m seeing fresh Reman units with 18-36mo warranties for as low as $2300. If you really have to think hard then get the $900 one (they still come with a brief warranty) and treat it well. Paying $5000 is ludicrous. I hope you know that replacing a transmission in these trucks is only a few hours. Removal is one hour and installation and extra BS is about 2 hours. Half a day flat no more. If you’re hearing otherwise SHOP AROUND. Have it towed to a different shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand why people do this lamenting because your adding value to something that you feel isn't worth that much. BUT add 3-4 NEW car payments up. Then imagine having to continue that car payment for 60-72 months! So in other words it is worth it to YOU to fix this truck and NOT have that car payment. It is definitely cheaper and rational to fix a known vehicle. Part of owning a car. If you really get in touch with the amount of a new new truck, interest on that loan and depreciation on that truck......avoiding that for 3K is the way to go. I have had many new trucks....that great 'feeling" goes away after 6 months! LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar