2011 Yukon Denali engine cylinder bad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LovedmyDenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Help please...

Took to mechanic:
Stabilize track light on needs service.
Then went to engine light on.
Steering wheel slightly shaking.

Mechanic said,
Diag. found # 3 cylinder misfire low compression on #3 R and R left hand valve cover to inspect valve train ok.
Perform leak down test #3 intake valve burned to many miles to disassemble and repair needs engine.

I need a trade in what do you think I can get if I sell for parts:
Great air, transmission, tows, wonderful stereo, working auto step and good tires. no damage inside or out. Front left light is foggy.

some city but mostly country driving in Calvert county maryland

Attachments

• IMG_4859 no lic front.jpg
    IMG_4859 no lic front.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4860.jpg
    IMG_4860.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4865 no license.jpg
    IMG_4865 no license.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4867.jpg
    IMG_4867.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4868.jpg
    IMG_4868.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's it worth and advice on what sites to profile it greatly appreciated.
I loved my Denali 2011 Yukon and its been taken care of at 175 miles engine cylinder #3 not working well and mechanic says needs new engine. . I dont want the expense of new engine. Inside and out of SUV is great, including sound system, tires, air conditioner, seats and floor that said, I need a down payment for anther SUV.
Sorry about the bad luck. We see this sometimes with 6.2s run on 87 octane fuel though of course I have no idea if that's the case here. #3 is not an AFM cylinder so it's unlikely to be related to the AFM system. Do you have any more details from the mechanic as to what went wrong with that cylinder, specifically?

In terms of value, with the mileage and a bad engine it's not going to be worth much more than maybe $3500. What kind of shape is the body in? Is this a dry climate car or has it spent its life in the salty north/northeast? Do you have any pictures to help us evaluate it?

There is a for sale section here but I believe it requires people to have a certain number of posts before it will allow you to post a for sale ad. So, Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist and Auto Trader are probably your best bets.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate superfluff language! What's wrong with my car? It needs a new engine! ARGGHH!!!!

I doubt you need a new engine but I'm certain you need a new mechanic!

So many today lack the skills or want to make an internal engine repair, they just want to swap parts and the engine is a big part to them. If something goes wrong, why it's not their fault, contact the people who made it. You're fired!

You might have a collapsed lifter or more likely a broken valve spring. If the motor got hot, those all aluminum 6.2s are quick to drop a valve seal and get a valve stuck in the head. All of these things can be fixed easily by even a halfway competent mechanic.

Ibustbravo

Reaction score
What's it worth and advice on what sites to profile it greatly appreciated.
I loved my Denali 2011 Yukon and its been taken care of at 175 miles engine cylinder #3 not working well and mechanic says needs new engine. . I dont want the expense of new engine. Inside and out of SUV is great, including sound system, tires, air conditioner, seats and floor that said, I need a down payment for anther SUV.
You're in good company I'm in the same boat. I replaced the engine last week and this week the trans is being rebuilt. I have a 15 Yukon and have only had it 5yrs. Do you remember that Jonnie Taylor song? 'It's cheaper to keep her' ?

Get a whiskey and listen to this song.. Cheers..

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
L94 to L96 swap is your friend. The 6.0L from the 3/4 & 1T trucks does not have AFM but retains the e85 compatibility. It’s a straight swap and you’ll get to run it on Reg gas with 30-40 less hp than the 6.2L. If you cam it before install you’ll be back at 400hp and crazy down low torque.

They are plentiful and inexpensive brutes.

OP
OP
L

LovedmyDenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry about the bad luck. We see this sometimes with 6.2s run on 87 octane fuel though of course I have no idea if that's the case here. #3 is not an AFM cylinder so it's unlikely to be related to the AFM system. Do you have any more details from the mechanic as to what went wrong with that cylinder, specifically?

In terms of value, with the mileage and a bad engine it's not going to be worth much more than maybe $3500. What kind of shape is the body in? Is this a dry climate car or has it spent its life in the salty north/northeast? Do you have any pictures to help us evaluate it?

There is a for sale section here but I believe it requires people to have a certain number of posts before it will allow you to post a for sale ad. So, Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist and Auto Trader are probably your best bets.
Hi Dave,

This is Tina aka Loved my Denail. I updated my info thanks for answering some questions for me. Ugh

OP
OP
L

LovedmyDenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I hate superfluff language! What's wrong with my car? It needs a new engine! ARGGHH!!!!

I doubt you need a new engine but I'm certain you need a new mechanic!

So many today lack the skills or want to make an internal engine repair, they just want to swap parts and the engine is a big part to them. If something goes wrong, why it's not their fault, contact the people who made it. You're fired!

You might have a collapsed lifter or more likely a broken valve spring. If the motor got hot, those all aluminum 6.2s are quick to drop a valve seal and get a valve stuck in the head. All of these things can be fixed easily by even a halfway competent mechanic.
Thanks Swathdiver I updated my info from the mechanics invoice. New at this.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it sou
Help please...

Took to mechanic:
Stabilize track light on needs service.
Then went to engine light on.
Steering wheel slightly shaking.

Mechanic said,
Diag. found # 3 cylinder misfire low compression on #3 R and R left hand valve cover to inspect valve train ok.
Perform leak down test #3 intake valve burned to many miles to disassemble and repair needs engine.

I need a trade in what do you think I can get if I sell for parts:
Great air, transmission, tows, wonderful stereo, working auto step and good tires. no damage inside or out. Front left light is foggy.

some city but mostly country driving in Calvert county maryland
sounds like it can be fixed the mechanic doesn't want to do it. chemicals, walnut shell, etc
might cost as much as that down payment though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts