2011 Tahoe LTZ - Air Ride suspension...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpm922

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are air shocks suppose to release air pressure when not running, say overnight ? The compressor does not appear to ever run when starting even after situation overnight. Shock bags are firm.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are air shocks suppose to release air pressure when not running, say overnight ? The compressor does not appear to ever run when starting even after situation overnight. Shock bags are firm.
Not necessarily. If there aren't any leaks in the system, then the bags will stay firm. That said, the compressor will normally run a self test after startup. You can also command it to turn on from a Tech2. That said, I have a Dorman pump in my 2007 that does not perform the self test but works fine whenever I load the truck up with people or attach our camper to it.

OP
OP
J

jpm922

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Initially I thought the compressor was bad. I checked All three air ride fuses (58), (2) & (54) which are all good. Tested the automatic level control relay which is good. Also Jumped the compressor by bypassing the relay, compressor is working. Compressor does not seem to run self test upon start up. I have a new Dorman compressor and two new rear Vigor air shocks being delivered from amazon tomorrow but hate to waste $$$ and time if they are not the problem. I also don't have a Tec 2 but should probably invest in one.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Initially I thought the compressor was bad. I checked All three air ride fuses (58), (2) & (54) which are all good. Tested the automatic level control relay which is good. Also Jumped the compressor by bypassing the relay, compressor is working. Compressor does not seem to run self test upon start up. I have a new Dorman compressor and two new rear Vigor air shocks being delivered from amazon tomorrow but hate to waste $$$ and time if they are not the problem. I also don't have a Tec 2 but should probably invest in one.
Have you tried loading up the backend with people or bags of stuff to see if the compressor will kick on and raise it back up?

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
You can also try pulling an air line and letting all the pressure out of the system before starting up. The compressor should adjust for that when you start up. The OE and Arnott compressors have a pressure sensor on them. Not sure if the Dorman unit does.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d do two checks.
The first has already been suggested. Get some weight in the back and see if the compressor kicks in. My fat a$$ on the rear bumper is enough to do it on our XL.

The second is to check if the pressure relief valve works. Load the vehicle up and then turn off the vehicle. With the vehicle off, take the weight off the vehicle and see if you hear what my wife calls the sigh of relief as the compressor releases pressure to bring the vehicle back to level.

The typical mode of failure I’ve seen on my vehicles is a bag gets a leak which causes the air compressor to run almost constantly and ends up burning itself up.

Not sure I’ve heard of Vigor brand air shocks. Will be interested in what your experience is with them. I’ve always gone with Arnott remans myself.

OP
OP
J

jpm922

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You can also try pulling an air line and letting all the pressure out of the system before starting up. The compressor should adjust for that when you start up. The OE and Arnott compressors have a pressure sensor on them. Not sure if the Dorman unit does.
Appreciate that suggestion and will give it a try.
I believe the compressor in the vehicle is the original factory compressor. I have a new Dorman compressor and two new Vigor rear air shocks coming in today but hate to spend the time and money swapping them out if it is not the problem (Free returns on the Dorman & shocks). Probably wouldn't be a bad idea regardless, since my Tahoe is a 2011.

OP
OP
J

jpm922

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I believe the compressor in the vehicle is the original factory compressor. I have a new Dorman compressor and two new Vigor rear air shocks coming in today but hate to spend the time and money swapping them out if it is not the problem (Free returns on the Dorman & shocks). Probably wouldn't be a bad idea regardless, since my Tahoe is a 2011.

OP
OP
J

jpm922

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’d do two checks.
The first has already been suggested. Get some weight in the back and see if the compressor kicks in. My fat a$$ on the rear bumper is enough to do it on our XL.

The second is to check if the pressure relief valve works. Load the vehicle up and then turn off the vehicle. With the vehicle off, take the weight off the vehicle and see if you hear what my wife calls the sigh of relief as the compressor releases pressure to bring the vehicle back to level.

The typical mode of failure I’ve seen on my vehicles is a bag gets a leak which causes the air compressor to run almost constantly and ends up burning itself up.

Not sure I’ve heard of Vigor brand air shocks. Will be interested in what your experience is with them. I’ve always gone with Arnott remans myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe