2011 Tahoe A/C Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcsinc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After driving my 2011 Tahoe in Ga heat for about 15-30 minutes I noticed the A/C is not blowing at it's nornal rate with cool air. The fan is working from low -Hi as it should, but the cool air is not excaping the vents, although you can here it attempting to push thru. Also I noticed air is notflowing from the rear overhead vents as well. First I thought it may be low on freon because it had never been recharged, so i had the system pull down and recharged but i'm still having the same issue.

When this happens, I noticed the evaporator is iced up (see attached photos) and if I allow it to thaw, the A/C operates as normal until it ices up again. Have anyone experienced this problem on their chevys and if so what was the root cause.

Thanks
JCS

Attachments

• IMG_20230815_170529032.jpg
    IMG_20230815_170529032.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
J

jcsinc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry i think the unit in the photo is called the accumulator, and once it thawed out, the air blows normal again from all vents. Could this issue be caused by a bad Evaporator temperature sensor located under the dash behind the glove box?

thanks
JCS

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry i think the unit in the photo is called the accumulator, and once it thawed out, the air blows normal again from all vents. Could this issue be caused by a bad Evaporator temperature sensor located under the dash behind the glove box?

thanks
JCS
I think that’s extremely likely to be your problem… The evaporator temperature sensor. Kind of a ***** to get to, and not usually very trouble prone, so it could also be a wiring issue.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, it's freezing up inside. when it happens, push the ac button, the little * one and it should thaw pretty quickly. you'll have to manually cycle the compressor till you figure out why it's not doing it on its own.

leaving it on non recirculating helps

OP
OP
J

jcsinc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks members for responding. I'm going to go by the GM dealer and pick up a temp sensor just in case I need to replace i when I go by the shop to recheck the freon level.

jcs

OP
OP
J

jcsinc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update: Repaired

I replaced the Evap A/C Temp sensor and my A/C blows nice and cold in this GA 98 degree weather and I have not had any freezing up of the accumulator since replacing the sensor.

Thanks
jcs

Josh623

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update: Repaired

I replaced the Evap A/C Temp sensor and my A/C blows nice and cold in this GA 98 degree weather and I have not had any freezing up of the accumulator since replacing the sensor.

Thanks
jcs
Just curious how you ended up doing it? (if you did it yourself) I'm considering drilling a hole in the evap core housing and plugging it afterwards so I can do mine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar