2011 suburban zw7 suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joeschmuck69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have been reading some of the threads on this but my problem is a bit different. I have a friend with a 2011 Suburban with the premium ride suspension but I believe the previous owner retrofitted it to standard springs and shocks…badly. The back end bounces like a bounce house over the smallest of bumps. But it’s all brand new parts before my friend bought it…about 2 weeks ago. Can u retrofit this with a spacer or spring helpers or something to stiffen it up any? I think the former owner put standard springs in, not the kit springs needed when u retrofit the zw7 suspension. Any ideas, short of replacing everything?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been reading some of the threads on this but my problem is a bit different. I have a friend with a 2011 Suburban with the premium ride suspension but I believe the previous owner retrofitted it to standard springs and shocks…badly. The back end bounces like a bounce house over the smallest of bumps. But it’s all brand new parts before my friend bought it…about 2 weeks ago. Can u retrofit this with a spacer or spring helpers or something to stiffen it up any? I think the former owner put standard springs in, not the kit springs needed when u retrofit the zw7 suspension. Any ideas, short of replacing everything?
The right springs don't cost that much, ACDelco 45H2164 or Moog 81069.

These trucks are made to tow and are a bit bouncy when unladen, even when low on fuel and worse when the spare is out! One can put some Air Lift springs in there but such is a bad-aid for that kind of fix. Tell him to do it right and replace the springs. Identify the ones in there to make sure that is the problem.

These are ZW7 rear shocks for a Suburban/Yukon XL = 540-435/25871227

OP
OP
J

Joeschmuck69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hmm that is the number on the tag on the spring. Is it possible that he installed the shocks upside down? They are rancho shocks and the barrel is on top and bellow is pointed down.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm that is the number on the tag on the spring. Is it possible that he installed the shocks upside down? They are rancho shocks and the barrel is on top and bellow is pointed down.
Rancho shocks are for the Z71 package and are made for off-road. Yes, the shocks are upside down that way. I do not know if it makes a difference performance wise, would not think it good for keeping the shaft clean from dirt and debris.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas