2011 6.0 hybrid cam failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Madhatter6oh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2011 6.0 hybrid recently was diagnosed with cam issues. We were coming from one highway to another when the CEL started flashing, drove it to the next exit 1 mile down and you could hear a valve tapping a piston. My first thought was a broken valve spring. Shop just called and said the cam wearing quickly and lifters failing is common. He said he won't bandaid it, needs a $7,000 motor install. I'm not sure at this point if they even took the head off. We have a warranty we purchased but the tapping didn't sound catastrophic, louder than lifter tick, quieter than rod knock. Is this shop b'S'ing me or should I just let them out a motor in it which will take 2-3 weeks?

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can read and take the information provided in several ways, though the fact he said he was not going to put a Band-Aid on it is subjective or promising.

Now, if they pulled the plugs and used a bore scope, they could get a look at the cylinders, but again, no view of the cam. If they drained some oil and found large amounts of bearing material......I could see them jumping to that conclusion in an effort to save you money on a tear down. If the cam bearings (I will stick with the cam for the sake of the minimum information I have) said See Ya Later, I would also tell a customer that a complete rebuild it the only way I/the shop would warranty the work. Either way, if the cam bearings went bad, to replace those correctly.....the engine should be pulled.

ON the LS motors, if the cam gets trashed, more then likely a lifter has failed and the cam and lifter had a hot sex session in pure destruction........again, the motor should be pulled to be inspected, cleaned up before the thought of dropping any new parts into it.

OP
OP
M

Madhatter6oh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I can read and take the information provided in several ways, though the fact he said he was not going to put a Band-Aid on it is subjective or promising.

Now, if they pulled the plugs and used a bore scope, they could get a look at the cylinders, but again, no view of the cam. If they drained some oil and found large amounts of bearing material......I could see them jumping to that conclusion in an effort to save you money on a tear down. If the cam bearings (I will stick with the cam for the sake of the minimum information I have) said See Ya Later, I would also tell a customer that a complete rebuild it the only way I/the shop would warranty the work. Either way, if the cam bearings went bad, to replace those correctly.....the engine should be pulled.

ON the LS motors, if the cam gets trashed, more then likely a lifter has failed and the cam and lifter had a hot sex session in pure destruction........again, the motor should be pulled to be inspected, cleaned up before the thought of dropping any new parts into it.
The shop was very vague as to how they came to this diagnosis.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The shop was very vague as to how they came to this diagnosis.
Well I know a situation like this can be rough to deal with. BUT when a shop is vague, you need to pressure them for details on how they came to said diagnosis. At the end of the day, you're the customer and they're obligated to give you the information you request.....if not, they can pound sand there are other shops around town.

Golden lining, you said you have a warranty, so its just a matter of time before you get a proper diagnosis and get it fixed.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At a 7000 dollar bill, how much is covered by warranty?

If its a 6900 dollar bill, and you cover 100 co-pay, if it comes with a 5/50k warranty, than go with it.. But I doubt it comes with any warranty.

Even 7k sounds suspicious. Those are not cheap engines on the hybrid.

I think I might be shopping for a second opinion.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2011 6.0 hybrid recently was diagnosed with cam issues. We were coming from one highway to another when the CEL started flashing, drove it to the next exit 1 mile down and you could hear a valve tapping a piston. My first thought was a broken valve spring. Shop just called and said the cam wearing quickly and lifters failing is common. He said he won't bandaid it, needs a $7,000 motor install. I'm not sure at this point if they even took the head off. We have a warranty we purchased but the tapping didn't sound catastrophic, louder than lifter tick, quieter than rod knock. Is this shop b'S'ing me or should I just let them out a motor in it which will take 2-3 weeks?
Replacing lifters, camshaft and broken valve train parts is not a band aid. It is however less time consuming for all involved to drop in a new motor and only a thousand or two more than repairing the old engine especially if this is a GM dealership. The good part is, the Goodwrench engine should have a long warranty that is accepted nationwide.

Were you in Fort Pierce when this happened?

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replacing lifters, camshaft and broken valve train parts is not a band aid. It is however less time consuming for all involved to drop in a new motor and only a thousand or two more than repairing the old engine especially if this is a GM dealership. The good part is, the Goodwrench engine should have a long warranty that is accepted nationwide.

Were you in Fort Pierce when this happened?
^^ Agreed labor cost are what kill you

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At a 7000 dollar bill, how much is covered by warranty?

If its a 6900 dollar bill, and you cover 100 co-pay, if it comes with a 5/50k warranty, than go with it.. But I doubt it comes with any warranty.

Even 7k sounds suspicious. Those are not cheap engines on the hybrid.

I think I might be shopping for a second opinion.
6,000 is the going rate for them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout