2010 Yukon XL 2500 - Cooling Fans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

USOFFROAD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Since my Yukon is a 2500 GM decided to go with the mechanical clutch fan... no problem. However, in Texas, especially this summer, we have seen consecutive weeks since early June with temps over 100 deg with many days 113 or more.

If it sits at idle in temps over 102 or so, the temp will creep up to 230 mark... but if the outside temps are under 100 it never moves. Now, with 170k on the odo it may be time for a new clutch fan although it seems to be operating fine, but I was thinking about adding a pusher fan(s) and am curious if anyone has done so while keeping the mechanical fan.

mooman

Reaction score
You are saying that your 2010 Yukon XL has a clutch style fan?
I was under the impression that anything over 2005 was switched over to Electric.
You can swap to electric fans, but you will need to have them wired with a set of relays and have the Ecm enable that function.

Still weird that you would have a clutch fan......

mooman

Reaction score
Also, if you have rising temps. I would look into changing our your coolant and take a peek at your thermostat/waterpump.

Matt_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually just replaced my fan clutch today. Those viscous clutches have multiple failure modes and are near impossible to diagnose (unless its completely siezed or dislodged). Relatively easy to change, so unless you're looking for a reason to go with e-fans, throw on a new clutch and go from there.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is the belt driven fan is for HD / towing.

My 2000 F350 7.3 makes some serious heat at 75 mph up 8% grades in the AZ mountains near full throttle for 8-10 minutes towing a 7000 lb travel trailer.
It has to pull air through a hot condenser, transmission cooler, intercooler and radiator. When it kicks on you can see the intercooler temps drop a few degrees even when you would think 80 mph ram air woul be enough.

I think when I did the math it was near 15,000 cubic feet per min. People have dyno numbers at 30 hp to turn the fan at 3000 rpm. You can feel it but it does the job that would require 6 electric fans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marthaInKilgore