2010 Yukon Denali Hybrid Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avb5983

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 2010 Yukon Denali Hybrid. About 95000 miles but I think the previous owner did some towing. My ride has gotten progressively rough and I think I need new rear Shocks. Thinking of just replacing all 4. I want to just get a smooth ride. Not planning on off-roading or any major towing.

1. How can I tell what is installed OEM?
AND
2. Any suggestions on replacement Kits?

TIA

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 2010 Yukon Denali Hybrid. About 95000 miles but I think the previous owner did some towing. My ride has gotten progressively rough and I think I need new rear Shocks. Thinking of just replacing all 4. I want to just get a smooth ride. Not planning on off-roading or any major towing.

1. How can I tell what is installed OEM?
AND
2. Any suggestions on replacement Kits?

TIA

My suggestion is to replace with GM Original Equipment wherever possible. The RPO Sheet in your glovebox contains the front shock codes, 6XX and 7XX. See if you have Z55 or Z95 for the rear suspension type.

You can look those up here:

You can also plug your VIN in here and have a look: www.GMPartsGiant.com

At this age your compressor is probably worn out and does little to keep your truck level in the back. Replacing it with OE is preferred or you can use a Dorman unit with good effect.

Consider replacing the springs and rebuilding the struts part by part, just don't put a new strut in there with all those worn out parts. It's not inexpensive but it's really the only way to restore that awesome ride.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 2011 came with the first gen Mag ride.(rpo codes above) I wouldn't call it super soft, but it does ride well, and mostly it seems to control the side to side better than other suv I've owned or ridden in. like where one tire hits something, say a speed bump and the other side doesn't, you get tossed back and forth pretty hard in most tall trucks/suv. I also had a car change lanes unexpectedly pretty much into my front fender, had to jump on the brakes full abs and swerved to the right, it sucked all that up really well with none of the drama that I was expecting. was very surprised I didn't have to drive the truck, it just corrected itself. so I think for me if and when they go out, I'll probably replace them instead of bypass the system which you can do. seems to be very common on the pickup trucks that got the gen2 mag ride and would leak.

on that note, unless you're sure they have been changed out for towing, shocks usually fail softer and bouncy as they wear out. I seem to remember having read somewhere that the mag ride, the Gen 2 of it on newer cars default to Max hard if there's a system failure. do you have any suspension codes?

of course this is thinking you have the active suspension option. checking the rpo codes above will tell you that.

OP
OP
A

avb5983

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
6EM and 7EM and Z95 is what u see in the RPO code.

what does this mean?
20221123_015435.jpg

I want to return to stock. Anyone sell all 4 corners OEM in a kit?

Last edited:

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there are aftermarket mag rides shocks, but don't know how good they are. oem you'd have to purchase all 4 individually.

I don't see the z55 which is the air pump right? huh, didn't think they built them without that. might make it cheaper then.

there was a YouTube I watched a while ago that recommended an aftermarket mag ride shock, but you can't really trust a lot of those they just got sponsored deals to use their parts. probably gm parts direct would be your best bet for oem ride.

have you been under it to confirm they have been replaced with something to bypass it?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see a Z95 on the PRO sticker, but I did not think that Magnaride came out until later years.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, there was a Gen 1 of it that come out super early, only on the caddy and denali level. my 2011 has it. Gen 2 came out on the next Gen tahoe's much more wide spread. I think they are on Gen 3 now.

there's a company that makes a software to fully map the shock tune on the newer sports cars that use it. I wish they would make it for our trucks.

OP
OP
A

avb5983

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
there are aftermarket mag rides shocks, but don't know how good they are. oem you'd have to purchase all 4 individually.

I see a Z95 on the PRO sticker, but I did not think that Magnaride came out until later years.

I did a VIN Decode and it said, confirms the Z95 I think.

Suspension Package, Magnetic Ride Control road sensing electronically controlled shock absorbers
Suspension, front coil-over-shock with stabilizer bar
Suspension, rear multi-link with coil springs
Automatic level control, Auto air

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues