2010 Tahoe/A/C leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Barry Vaughn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2010 Tahoe LTZ purchased a few months ago. I had A/C serviced for reduced cooling. Vacuumed and replaced with dye in refrigerant. Two months later, different mechanic, couldn't find leak so did same service. Went for oil change to shop #2 and asked them to check for possible leaks in A/C system. None found. Reduced cooling again. Is there a common component either front or rear for this problem? I really don't want to drop the dash to see if evaporator is leaking.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2010 Tahoe LTZ purchased a few months ago. I had A/C serviced for reduced cooling. Vacuumed and replaced with dye in refrigerant. Two months later, different mechanic, couldn't find leak so did same service. Went for oil change to shop #2 and asked them to check for possible leaks in A/C system. None found. Reduced cooling again. Is there a common component either front or rear for this problem? I really don't want to drop the dash to see if evaporator is leaking.
Check the Schrader valve on the low pressure port (it's the one used for recharging the system, and usually found on the accumulator on these trucks). Very common source of leaks, and you can often find it by removing the dust cap and hitting it with soapy water. I replaced mine with one from a kit I bought on Amazon on my 2007 a couple of years ago, and no more problems.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yes, any place there is a cap or sensor attached at a port, suspect that schrader valve. If all else fails, you might be able to gain access from some port or part removal to at least see part of the evaporator. If you don't see dye there could still be a/c oil leaking out with refrigerant and leaves a damp dirty spot somewhere. The condenser may be the culprit and is buried and hard to see all of it for inspection. Front of compressor could have a shaft seal leak that could leave that oily/dirty stain.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The service port often needs replacing after about 10 years. This is the port on the line off the accumulator. Once the system is discharged, you can replace the schrader valve in the low side port on the accumulator as well. Don't over-tighten.

Earlier this year mine started leaking too. I bought a sniffer and didn't find the leak. The dealer didn't find the leak. When I took the front bumper cover off to replace it, I found the leak, it was the connection between the condenser and line. Aftermarket gasket leaked. So as not to take the bumper off again, I replaced the whole condenser and gaskets (with OE) and all was well.

My sniffer couldn't get close enough from outside the grill. Check your rear AC lines above the exhaust pipe too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkavros

Latest posts