200K+ club what oil you run in the heat ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

bayareadude84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dangit, I've been curious about our oil pick-up o-ring for a couple of years because of posts on this forum. Current readings are 25-30 psi at idle and almost 40 at hightway speeds. Two mechanics have advised me that the o-ring is not the problem and said that the low-ish oil pressure was because of the car's mileage..."don't waste money an an o-ring replacement". Ugh. Replaced the oil pressure sender, no change in the reading.

(Apologies, off-topic for this post, I know...)

You have 2 VERY stupid mechanics. Every time I purchase one of these GMT800s first thing I do is run some oil flush, throw on a crap oil filter and dino oil drive for 100-200 miles, dump oil, replace that $3 oil pump o-ring, oil pan gasket, oil filter adapter gasket, replace with GOOD oil filter, and top tier oil

a $3 o-ring is cheaper than a new engine or rebuild

Dave

OP
OP
B

bayareadude84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not heard of Australians doing that? but until just now I've never looked either haha. but quick Google showed Toyota and Mazda both recommended 5w30 for new cars? Fords and chevy didn't show up in my quick search.

can you point me to some info? be interesting.

Multiple sources: Have chatted with some Australian car guys visiting the US in my travels, read on a oil forum, youtube

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 04 LM7 5.3L is about 212k miles. I bought it with about 187k. Run 5W-30 year round.

We get close to 100 F in the summer for short bits and I have no idea what people do in Australia or why.

That said, my engine maintains normal operating temperature all year round regardless of how hot it gets. Pressure is great and no issues with cold starts in -0 F temps in winter...

Unless something changes, like @rockola1971 describes and starts leaking like crazy, I will continue to run 5W-30.

I get whatever is on sale locally. Sometimes Valvoline full synthetic, but I have no problem going NAPA synthetic blend (which is actually rebranded Havoline).

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just under 222K, often 80° at sunrise and mid- to upper-90s and into the 100s during the days of our 9+ months of summer. I run a 50/50 mix of 5W-40 and 15W-40 Rotella T6 for a 10W-40 average. Mine sees a lot of hard throttle and higher RPM.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Not 200k... Yet....
But I run some euro-spec 0w-40 year-round (thinner 40w oil with good viscosity-temp characteristics. Actually flows better than 5w30 when cold). From negs, to triple digits. I don't believe in putting "thicker" oil in for the summer. The engine isn't air cooled. It keeps its own homeostasis regardless of temp. We also don't have shear-down issues with modern synthetics like we did in the 70s, 80s, 90s. So, like, no point in trying to put something thick / fewest viscosity modifiers in there when temps allow because it won't thin-out over time. Meh.

data:

1679757327107.png

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dangit, I've been curious about our oil pick-up o-ring for a couple of years because of posts on this forum. Current readings are 25-30 psi at idle and almost 40 at hightway speeds. Two mechanics have advised me that the o-ring is not the problem and said that the low-ish oil pressure was because of the car's mileage..."don't waste money an an o-ring replacement". Ugh. Replaced the oil pressure sender, no change in the reading.

(Apologies, off-topic for this post, I know...)

without looking it up, I think that's well within what gm calls for hot temp oil pressure by rpm.

but I believe the simple test is find a steep drive way or something like a loading dock. back up it and see if your oil pressure goes up. you just gotta cover the o'ring at the front of the engine so it doesn't suck air. I've heard a few extra qt of oil will do it too, pick up some cheap oil before your next oil change and add it in. go check to see if you have higher pressures. but again, check the specs, I'm pretty sure that's good to go. don't leave the extra oil in for long or high rpm.

edit.. I believe this was a 2010ish 5.3 with afm specs. and the ecm allows for 6psi below that for setting a light.

doesn't take much oil pressure to cruise around town, but sucking air and it foaming isn't great for it.

Attachments

• PXL_20230323_003614663.jpg
    PXL_20230323_003614663.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230323_003737200.jpg
    PXL_20230323_003737200.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Multiple sources: Have chatted with some Australian car guys visiting the US in my travels, read on a oil forum, youtube

interesting. you got me searching for why.

I did run across this, it seems European sold corvettes call for a euro spec 0w40 instead of 5w30 dexos rating.

the web site in the thread where they test oil is interesting too.

sorry if linking to other forums is against the rules here, mods just remove it not.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting. you got me searching for why.

I did run across this, it seems European sold corvettes call for a euro spec 0w40 instead of 5w30 dexos rating.

the web site in the thread where they test oil is interesting too.

sorry if linking to other forums is against the rules here, mods just remove it not.

Likely because the European spec equivalent of the U.S. Spec is not available or even made. It would be almost impossible to find the constant steady stock of U.S. spec oil in Europe so the auto manufacturers (in the U.S.) had to try some spec to see if it meets the engine requirements and came of with the Euro Spec of 0w40 which would meet the warranty needs.

OP
OP
B

bayareadude84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just under 222K, often 80° at sunrise and mid- to upper-90s and into the 100s during the days of our 9+ months of summer. I run a 50/50 mix of 5W-40 and 15W-40 Rotella T6 for a 10W-40 average. Mine sees a lot of hard throttle and higher RPM.

Hmmm.... I do Have some old Carquest(valvoline) fulll syn 5W-40 SN rated diesel oil from when they switched to Fram products !! Also have some gallons of Delo 400XSP 15W40 full syn but not sure if thats to thick even for our southern 100+ summers ???

I do know that my rig didnt like the Rotella gas/truck 5W30 I ran in it last summer !! Boy was she pinging BAD during accelration !!!! Luckily some "Free" Mobil 1 10W30 saved the day and ALL noise went away !!

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fastline22