2009 to 2011 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Like I have stated a few times during my newbie back again post and this thread, I used to run repair shops but have been away from them since 2008 and am a bit rusty about what I may or may not have seen in the shops at the end. Since the 2011 Tahoe came out 3 years later I need some input. At the back hatch there is the gold Chevy Bowtie emblem that is affixed to the upper license plate cap and as far as I remember there is only license lights in under there. What I did notice about the emblem is that it is discolored in several places leading me to believe that water has gotten in there. Besides the license lights, is there anything else in there that could be effected by water soaking thru all that?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like I have stated a few times during my newbie back again post and this thread, I used to run repair shops but have been away from them since 2008 and am a bit rusty about what I may or may not have seen in the shops at the end. Since the 2011 Tahoe came out 3 years later I need some input. At the back hatch there is the gold Chevy Bowtie emblem that is affixed to the upper license plate cap and as far as I remember there is only license lights in under there. What I did notice about the emblem is that it is discolored in several places leading me to believe that water has gotten in there. Besides the license lights, is there anything else in there that could be effected by water soaking thru all that?

There is the tailgate release and the glass hatch release buttons under there. That is where the rear view camera is mounted if there is one.

I have had to replace the glass release button on every Yukon or Suburban I have owned except the one I just bought in July. I expect that will happen in a year or so as well.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I thought the tailgate release was at the painted bracket that is under the license plate. At least the 2011 I am looking at has the release there. I didn't look for the rear glass release yet. I haven't driven yet so have not looked for the rear view camera yet either.

I did check and now see that the rear glass switch is under, on the right, the bracket above the license plate.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the tailgate release was at the painted bracket that is under the license plate. At least the 2011 I am looking at has the release there. I didn't look for the rear glass release yet. I haven't driven yet so have not looked for the rear view camera yet either.

I did check and now see that the rear glass switch is under, on the right, the bracket above the license plate.

You're correct, the tailgate release is down below. Brain fart.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So, even being an old fart like myself, I still get it right sometimes. I just now realized how much I miss this forum. If I in fact get rid of my 2002 Tahoe I will miss it. I still, in the 3 years I have owned it, have never seen another Tahoe of that gen with the rear barn doors like I have. Seen lots of Subs but no Tahoes.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, even being an old fart like myself, I still get it right sometimes. I just now realized how much I miss this forum. If I in fact get rid of my 2002 Tahoe I will miss it. I still, in the 3 years I have owned it, have never seen another Tahoe of that gen with the rear barn doors like I have. Seen lots of Subs but no Tahoes.
I loved the barn doors on my 01.

As far as your emblem on the 11 ive seen many that are the same.. water doesn’t get under the part where the camera or glass popper is just the emblem...

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I loved the barn doors on my 01.

As far as your emblem on the 11 ive seen many that are the same.. water doesn’t get under the part where the camera or glass popper is just the emblem...

I was unsure about whether water would get in there and therefore other ares under it. Thanks.

When you had your 01 with the barn doors did you see many Tahoes with them or like me, just the Subs?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was unsure about whether water would get in there and therefore other ares under it. Thanks.

When you had your 01 with the barn doors did you see many Tahoes with them or like me, just the Subs?
I had a 99 with them and then my 01... tbh i saw alot more of the obs pre (99-01) gmt 400’s then the gmt 800’s. They pretty much started doing away with barn doors because iirc you couldn’t put a 3rd row in with the barns... let me rephrase.... you couldn’t order it from factory with barns and 3rd row. I put them in myself tho... some brackets, bolts and a carpet set and all looked factory. I do miss the 01 tho...DD34E302-36B2-4820-B858-05C04879BFCF.jpegFD9E9804-0EA5-47B5-A842-68F7B93973EC.jpeg

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
LOL, you look a little young to be owning Tahoe's in that second pic.

I never looked before I owned this one but just paid more attention after I got it and have yet to see another Tahoe of my gen with the barn doors.

The thing is that mine is low miles at 158k and not one thing wrong with the interior and all options and accessories work top notch. It has the normal clear coat problem only at the top of the driver's side driver and rear door. All the rest is still pristine. The front bumper has a slight push in on the passenger side edge of license plate. Previous owner parked once where snow was plowed and did not see a small concrete pillar hidden in the snow. Thankfully she was moving very slow to park the Tahoe. The only other flaw is a couple scrapes around the driver's door key area. The leather interior is flawless with no cracks or tears in any areas. The engine and trans perform flawlessly.

It boils down to me just wanting a newer version.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I should have known that something like this was going to happen. I was supposed to at least test drive the 2011 Tahoe tonight or tomorrow and now the salesman at the dealer said that they have an offer of 21K for the Tahoe instead of the $19,500 they said they would sell to me for. Nothing in writing because I said I would not make a hard and fast offer or agree to their price till I drove it and put it up on a rack at my friend's garage. I just told them that I now pass on any interest in the Tahoe.

I have contacted the owner of the 2014 that did say he would sell to me for $17,900. It has 123k miles on it. Has new TOYO tires on it and only has a couple of small scratches in the paint with no dents. It is the LS model. Is there anyone here that can say, "Stay the hell away from that pig"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charkmapman