2009 to 2011 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, even being an old fart like myself, I still get it right sometimes. I just now realized how much I miss this forum. If I in fact get rid of my 2002 Tahoe I will miss it. I still, in the 3 years I have owned it, have never seen another Tahoe of that gen with the rear barn doors like I have. Seen lots of Subs but no Tahoes.
i see them often I hate the barn doors for some reason reminds me of a soccer mom VAN i.e e350 express etc... it's more of a commercialized type of trim.. might be useful if your running a pluming business out of your tahoe

but if you really want to get rid of the ez open Glass flaw you could always swap it out with a hybrid tailgate they have a "fixed" glass due to the larger spoiler wing.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Well, it seems at every corner I run in to a road block. The black 2011 ended up being more than what the dealer had said because another person offered more than I had. The 2014 has just too many miles on it at 123k. Basically averaged 25k a year and almost the first 3 years was a rental so who knows how it was used or treated. The price seems good but the way the sales manager dropped the price quickly leads me to believe that they know something I don't.

Another sales guy called from a different dealer and had a black 2011 Z71 model with low mileage. I did not know that all Z71 packages have a moon roof. I don't want any kind of glass roof, either moon or sun.

At this point since my 2002 runs like a top and has low miles for the year, 158k. Averaged just over 8k a year and is a one owner. I think I am just gonna bite the bullet and spend some money on it. The leather interior has absolutely no tears. All accessories and systems work without a flaw. Within the last year I have done all AC Delco plugs, wires, filters, water pump, tensioners, idlers and belts. Have ran syn oil in it for the 3 years I have owned and I have put less than 8k on it in those 3 years. I live where I work at a large self storage facility. It is close to needing tires and I plan to do some custom wheels. Has the typical clear coat prob at only the top of driver's door and driver's rear door. Some scratches at the driver's door key area. That is it. no dings or dents. Very small impact mark just to the right of license plate mount on front.

Thinking of maybe some performance exhaust if there is anyone here that has recommendations.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Glad to see your wise on what to purchase. Expand your search to infinite radius. Search for the unicorns. I’ve seen the trucks with the potential to last the longest are the 6.2L for the NNBS. The motor doesn’t have to work as hard, the trans doesn’t have shift as often and they run cooler at lower RPM doing the same job as a smaller displacement motor.

If I had to do it all over again back in 2014, I’d go with an 09 6.2 because you have a Non AFM motor that’s flex fuel plus another 15-25 hp & tq. The 08 vs 09 had vastly different resale in 2014 so I went with an 08 Denali.

09 is when the RWD option starts on the 6.2 as well as RWD 4x4. Refrigerated seats come into play and some have it on the 1st & 2nd row buckets. You haven’t lived until you’ve jumped in your truck that’s been remotely started, cooled down and turned on the ball coolers when it’s 90% humidity outside.

If you do find a unicorn NNBS, even one priced on the high end, it’ll still be a deal. Any maintenance that’s due on the suspension, seals or drive train will be an opportunity for an upgrade as all the depreciation had fallen off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So, the unicorn NNBS starts in 2009 and would have the 6.2L engine?

Never mind, I found my answer. NNBS=New New Body Style and is the years 2007 to 2011.

Why would the 2012 to 2014 not be included in the NNBS?

Last edited:
OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok, got it now. Me being out of the automotive repair business since 2008 makes it difficult for me to be aware and keep up with the newer models. Now that I have all my other distractions taken care of I will be a much better "student" for my favorite rig, The Tahoe! I appreciate all of your patience. Thank you.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
2009 does not have the active fuel mgmt (AFM) turned on in the 6.2L but does have the hp bump and flex fuel capability. It’s the only year the NNBS got more hp, flex fuel and no AFM.

In 2010 AFM internals were turned on in the 6.2L which requires diligent oil changes and more parts to fail for a marginal increase in mpg. Not sure whether 09 or 10 got the rear cargo area that’s sloped so anything not tied down rolls out when the cargo door opens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
See post #14 again in this thread.

Did look back. Thanks. I did see a 2011 Tahoe Z71 yesterday that I am going to go drive tomorrow.

I had resigned myself to keeping my 2002 but still have the itch for something newer. The 2011 is all black. Either black or silver are my color choices.

Have the Tahoe's with moon roofs had water leak problems? I owned a Chevy Silverado Z71 package and all it was, at that time, was just skid plates and Bilstein shocks. Since the older one I owned has anything else been added to the Z71 package?

Last edited:

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did look back. Thanks. I did see a 2011 Tahoe Z71 yesterday that I am going to go drive tomorrow.

I had resigned myself to keeping my 2002 but still have the itch for something newer. The 2011 is all black. Either black or silver are my color choices.

Have the Tahoe's with moon roofs had water leak problems? I owned a Chevy Silverado Z71 package and all it was, at that time, was just skid plates and Bilstein shocks. Since the older one I owned has anything else been added to the Z71 package?

I think that is it for what the Z71 gets you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442