2009 Tahoe ltz suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have my first Tahoe a 2009 with about 130k on it, the shocks are shot I plan on doing all 4 but am having trouble deciding on keeping the magneride set up or going with something like this https://www.1aauto.com/chevrolet-gm...AJDv8kkX4iTjernXw9AaRIlejgrGBX9saArflEALw_wcB Anyone have experience in this area? Thanks in advance
A 2009 LTZ Tahoe does not have Magneride. It has the Z55 Autoride suspension with G69 auto leveling. Check your RPO codes in your glovebox.

Others will chime in later with regards to which parts to use and whether or not those in the link are worthy.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Do you plan to tow? The Z55 suspension (called electronic control suspension) is excellent for towing, as the rear shocks have air assist, which will automatically level the truck, whenever you tow or add significant weight (Home Depot run) on the rear cargo area. Replace the components once, and you'll be good for another 100,000+ miles on the suspension.

OP
OP
Michigantrails

Michigantrails

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A 2009 LTZ Tahoe does not have Magneride. It has the Z55 Autoride suspension with G69 auto leveling. Check your RPO codes in your glovebox.

Others will chime in later with regards to which parts to use and whether or not those in the link are worthy

Others will chime in later with regards to which parts to use and whether or not those in the link are worthy.
That is good to hear, thank you for the info, when I googled z55 on a Tahoe I kept seeing magneride so I just assumed that magneride and auto ride were the same, I have my build sheet and I have the z55 rpo along with g69 that says level control , auto air, hd

OP
OP
Michigantrails

Michigantrails

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Do you plan to tow? The Z55 suspension (called electronic control suspension) is excellent for towing, as the rear shocks have air assist, which will automatically level the truck, whenever you tow or add significant weight (Home Depot run) on the rear cargo area. Replace the components once, and you'll be good for another 100,000+ miles on the suspension.
I will definitely be towing, I have a StarCraft islander boat and also tow atvs and occasionally a smaller car hauler. I definitely want to keep the auto level in the rear for towing. My rear shocks are blown out and I'm pretty sure my compressor is shot as well so I was thinking of that kit from trq I posted, but also don't want junk shocks

OP
OP
Michigantrails

Michigantrails

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Also how would 22 inch factory rims fit/feel , I tried searching on here for similar questions but had no luck.I found a set of black factory rims on marketplace for a good price but was curious if there would be issues with mounting or if the ride quality would be worse with less rubber.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also how would 22 inch factory rims fit/feel , I tried searching on here for similar questions but had no luck.I found a set of black factory rims on marketplace for a good price but was curious if there would be issues with mounting or if the ride quality would be worse with less rubber.
The Tahoe was made to run a 285-45-22 so they will fit. Lots of folks say a 22" wheel rides just as nice as a 20" wheel and others do not agree as it is really a subjective topic. I'm of mind that a smaller wheel will deliver a softer ride and certainly have more traction and be better off-road and for towing.

Lots of guys speak highly of the Dorman compressor even though most of us dislike most things Dorman! They also prefer the Arnott rear shocks with GM OE a close second. I do not have this setup so I'll leave it to Joe and the others that have it. Joe just put his back in commission after the previous owner disabled it.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Chiming in here as well. I have the same suspension and 22” whees on my burb. It rides a little harder than I would like but I have extra load tires which are overkill. If I had to do over I would have gone with Micheline tires on it.
I like the suspension and the auto leveling is great.
I vote to repair it and enjoy it.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Add the last 8 digits of your VIN, and @915_Tahoe may be able to give you the exact replacement part numbers for your truck (sometimes, part numbers change over time). Then, you can use those parrt numbers to find the best price on RockAuto.com, GMPartsGiant.com, or GMPartsDirect.com I used ACDelco parts for the rear air shocks, and a Dorman compressor (many folks on the Forum have used Dorman compressors with good results).

It is an easy DIY job.

OP
OP
Michigantrails

Michigantrails

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I have my first Tahoe a 2009 with about 130k on it, the shocks are shot I plan on doing all 4 but am having trouble deciding on keeping the magneride set up or going with something like this https://www.1aauto.com/chevrolet-gm...AJDv8kkX4iTjernXw9AaRIlejgrGBX9saArflEALw_wcB Anyone have experience in this area? Thanks in advance
Thanks for all the reply's, I really appreciate. I'll get the vin when I get out of work. Here's some pics of my new to me Tahoe 2009 ltz with 130k on it, so far I've replaced the headlights going toupgrade the drivers valve cover , got a tune to stop the afm, has a slight lifter tick that I'll be checking out when I do the valve cover.

Attachments

• 93238E1E-0BB1-4F53-AD6E-BC1D0E8D67F3.jpeg
    93238E1E-0BB1-4F53-AD6E-BC1D0E8D67F3.jpeg
    612.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 3D479AF3-97D5-479D-8D32-21BC3577106B.jpeg
    3D479AF3-97D5-479D-8D32-21BC3577106B.jpeg
    516.7 KB · Views: 9