2009 Suburban 2500LT (GMT900) - Misc Upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobsburban

Reaction score
About to add:
- Aux battery
- Onboard Air Compressor
- Inverter
- Cargo Glide...

-IC

Which cargo glide? Curious as I was looking at the Front Runner's 6 Cub box with the sliding top, or their 4 Cub box with the freezer slide for my big cooler. I'll check the battery thread for inverter choice.

Edit to add: I'll probably get ARB's single compressor unit - it looks to fit in the driver side front battery position on mine.

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd love to have black on black. Dirt shows like crazy on the light grey. :(

I guarantee that was likely in public service. My 2500 was a fire chiefs truck. Others I found when I was looking were other fire vehicles, and found an FBI GMT800 unit. Those holes are likely antenna holes from various equipment.

OP
OP
I

irishcreamer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Which cargo glide? Curious as I was looking at the Front Runner's 6 Cub box with the sliding top, or their 4 Cub box with the freezer slide for my big cooler. I'll check the battery thread for inverter choice.

Edit to add: I'll probably get ARB's single compressor unit - it looks to fit in the driver side front battery position on mine.
Likely the Cargo Glide 1800HD. We think they have a frame layout that utilizes the stock third row seat mounts. Will report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long time reader first time poster haha...

After a great deal of research I finally found and purchased a GMT900 3/4 ton suburban. Part way into the upgrades and thought I would share to give back to the community.

Bought this to replace a 2002 Tahoe Z71 tow vehicle and have to say the difference is night and day. Towing the 6500# boat with the Sub is a breeze - more power, heavier tow vehicle with longer wheel base, and the tow mode downshifts when I brake. Just wish this had occurred to me sooner!

Phase 1 (complete)
- Trail Ridge Tow Mirrors (pn TRMRP00011)
- EBC S8 Kits Orangestuff Brake Pads and Black GD Rotors (Front: S8KF1021, Rear: S8KR1010)
- Hellwig Suspension Products Sway Bar Kits (Front: 7654, Rear: 7653)
- Bilstein 4600 shocks (Front: 24-060813 / Rear: 24-185677)
- Firestone Ride-Rite (2253 kit, discontinued)
- Weathertech mats
- UVS100 suncreen heat shield
- Pilkinton EZ-KOOL (DW1658)

Phase 2 (researching)
- Aux battery system
- Cargo glide

Curious about your experience with these platforms and any common upgrades or problems to watch out for.

Best,
IC

View attachment 259587

Are those mirrors plug and play?

OP
OP
I

irishcreamer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ya know I’m not sure... I thought they had to get into the door a bit. 1AAuto can probably answer your questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
I

irishcreamer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A few updates for the thread, excluding the electrical work.

Installed a Cargo Glide 1800HD that mounted directly to the third row seat brackets. They have a sub-model that fits the 2007-2013 Suburban cargo area you can reference the "CG1000-6347 Suburban Frame Layout" when ordering. Best to double check the layout. I had it shortened from 59" to 56" to allow storage room behind second row seats and so that objects at the end avoid clearance issues with the seat backs.

Replaced the backup lights with super bright white LED lights to facilitate parking my trailer at night (Diode Dynamics XP80 SKU DD0116P). Very happy with them but note they are very very bright.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz