2009 Denali/Front diff question....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BD104X

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all... just got a new-to-me 2009 Yukon Denali. I'm getting a howling from the front diff & weighing my options between rebuild or replace with used. There are 2 parts trucks near me, one is a regular Tahoe & 1 is a regular Yukon (not LTZ or Denali). Anyone know if the front differential is the same on the part-time 4WD trucks and the full time? I know my truck has the GU6 & 3.42 axle ratio and obviously the ratio has to be the same, but not sure if they all use the same differential? Thanks for the help!

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all... just got a new-to-me 2009 Yukon Denali. I'm getting a howling from the front diff & weighing my options between rebuild or replace with used. There are 2 parts trucks near me, one is a regular Tahoe & 1 is a regular Yukon (not LTZ or Denali). Anyone know if the front differential is the same on the part-time 4WD trucks and the full time? I know my truck has the GU6 & 3.42 axle ratio and obviously the ratio has to be the same, but not sure if they all use the same differential? Thanks for the help!
You might have more luck posting in the 2007-2014 section. Hopefully one of the mods can move this for you.

The front differentials are different between the AWD and 4WD trucks. You'll need one from a Denali. Or, any good driveline shop can rebuild yours. It'll run $1200-1500 and parts are widely available.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
tear yours down and diagnose it, then rebuild what you have. I'm having a hard time understanding $1200-$1500? yikes! gear set, bearings and install kit $500. It isn't brain surgery? either way salvage donor vehicles are old and run out, keep what you have and rebuild it.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
tear yours down and diagnose it, then rebuild what you have. I'm having a hard time understanding $1200-$1500? yikes! gear set, bearings and install kit $500. It isn't brain surgery? either way salvage donor vehicles are old and run out, keep what you have and rebuild it.
Have you had any work done in a shop lately? Hourly rates are north of $150/hour in most places now.

You are correct I’m sure, that DIY would save a bunch. If a person can handle the gear setup, which as you say isn’t brain surgery. But it is fussy and requires precision and patience and may be beyond the comfort level of some home wrenchers.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have sold one of my kids, I was so sure my front differential was howling so bad and it turned out to be the tires!

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only difference between the Awd and 4wd differentials is the extension housing and right side shafts. The 4wd has the actuator as well. Those parts can be swapped from one to the other pretty easily.
Exactly. You can also direct swap in a 4wd diff into a Denali and all you have to do is remove the actuator and there is a aftermarket place that sells an adapter that goes in place of the actuator and it pushes in on the lever to make the 4wd diff a AWD all the time diff. The adapter uses the original bolts of the actuator too and bolts right in place. This removes the work to changeout the extension housing and passenger sideshaft but as you said. That part isnt too hard to do.

Warriorpluto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly. You can also direct swap in a 4wd diff into a Denali and all you have to do is remove the actuator and there is a aftermarket place that sells an adapter that goes in place of the actuator and it pushes in on the lever to make the 4wd diff a AWD all the time diff. The adapter uses the original bolts of the actuator too and bolts right in place. This removes the work to changeout the extension housing and passenger sideshaft but as you said. That part isnt too hard to do.
Have an link for the part?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have an link for the part?
Ill have to go back in youtube vids. I learned about it on PowerNation.

Found it:
Goto 3:28 mark for explanation and installation of part. They performed this mod on our bodystyle truck and installed it in a OBS K1500 (Project Red Tide). Dont pay any attention to frame mod, doesnt apply to our bodystyle.

Part: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pos-1000

Part shown is for OBS fron diff. Will likely have to contact manufacturer for part# for our front Diff. According to date range listed on summit it is strictly for OBS.

Last edited:

Warriorpluto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill have to go back in youtube vids. I learned about it on PowerNation.

Found it:
Goto 3:28 mark for explanation and installation of part. They performed this mod on our bodystyle truck and installed it in a OBS K1500 (Project Red Tide). Dont pay any attention to frame mod, doesnt apply to our bodystyle.

Part: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pos-1000

Part shown is for OBS fron diff. Will likely have to contact manufacturer for part# for our front Diff. According to date range listed on summit it is strictly for OBS.
Thanks alot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vadenA77