2009 Chevy Tahoe LTZ 5.3 possible electrical issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mflow Moo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2009 chevy tahoe ltz 5.3. I have noticed that sometimes when I turn the bright lights on the radio cuts off and then turns back on. Also it just started but the other night the alarm went off for no reason in the middle of the night. Anyone else have or know what is going on with my tahoe? Im thinking electrical issue maybe? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2009 chevy tahoe ltz 5.3. I have noticed that sometimes when I turn the bright lights on the radio cuts off and then turns back on. Also it just started but the other night the alarm went off for no reason in the middle of the night. Anyone else have or know what is going on with my tahoe? Im thinking electrical issue maybe? Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Might take a look at the underside of your fuse block that’s under the hood.

I had a 2007 Silverado that went wonky on my where my headlights wouldn’t turn off unless I pulled the fuse and the horn would go off whenever I turned the truck off so I had to pull the fuse on that.

It was caused by a severely corroded underside of the fuse block.

Also check all your grounds as well.

OP
OP
M

Mflow Moo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I had a 2007 Silverado that went wonky on my where my headlights wouldn’t turn off unless I pulled the fuse and the horn would go off whenever I turned the truck off so I had to pull the fuse on that.

Thank you I will check that. I did check the grounds and they all were fine unless I'm missing one.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

OP
OP
M

Mflow Moo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I also have inquired another issue with this vehicle. Along with my electrical issues of when I flip the bright lights on and the radio turns off, I now have an issue with my key fob. I replaced the battery in the fob and reprogrammed it to the vehicle and the key sometimes won't work to unlock the door and when it does it sets the alarm off when I open the door. Any suggestions?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also have inquired another issue with this vehicle. Along with my electrical issues of when I flip the bright lights on and the radio turns off, I now have an issue with my key fob. I replaced the battery in the fob and reprogrammed it to the vehicle and the key sometimes won't work to unlock the door and when it does it sets the alarm off when I open the door. Any suggestions?
Electrical issues can be very frustrating, that’s for sure.

These trucks abhor low voltage, so I’d start with making sure you’re getting good voltage out of your alternator and battery. Then, make sure all you’re grounds are clean and corrosion free.

Not sure if you were able to take a look at your fuse block like I suggested, so if not, do that.

I’m not sure how your new FOB was programmed, but if you did it yourself, it might be worth a call to an automotive locksmith or a dealer and have them program the FOB for you to rule out any glitch in that process.

It could be the remote key receiver is going wonky on you. I believe it’s tied in with the TPMS system as well so check your tire pressure readings on the dash and see if that looks right and you don’t have a bunch of “- -“ on the dash. Some folks have had luck pulling the fuse for the remote key sensor for a minute before putting it back in, but I can’t say I have any personal experience with that.

Try these things and report back with what you find. Like I said, it’s tough to track down electrical issues when I’m working on the actual car. It’s even harder when it’s over the internet.

Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckylec