2008 Yukon XL 2500 questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldmopars

Reaction score
So, to start, I currently have a 1990 GMC Suburban V2500 4x4. I got it to tow my 2017 Keystone Bullet 30 foot trailer. I also got it to do some overlanding, light trail runs, off road camping etc.
While this is a great truck, it does have some disadvantages. It only has 190hp factory, and all are still there as it has a new crate engine. The THM400 is only a 3 speed, this means with the 4.10 gears it not a great highway vehicle. It does pull my trailer, but it struggles a bit.
The last issue is that my wife hates it and can't drive it.
So, I am looking at a real nice 2008 Yukon XL 2500 SLE with 6.0l. I travel with just my wife and 2 dogs, kids are grown. I want to be able to tow my trailer (6500lbs dry) and still be able to do a little off road camping/Overlanding. I know this will never be a serious off road rig/rock crawler, mostly just FS roads and back country discovery routes. I want to be able to sleep inside when not using the trailer.

So, my questions:
How much does the 2500 Yukon share with other GM platforms, and what ones? Are they the same as a 2500 Truck of the same year? I do know it has leaf spring in the rear, not coils.
Also wondering about the frame, as I have a winch I want to transfer over and nobody lists a hidden mount for the Yukon 2500.
How is the 6.0l? I know the 5.3l has some issues, what should I look for in the 6.0l?
I assume this would also have the 4L80E? These seem bullet proof if taken care of.
What other issues should I be looking at when I go see this truck? Current mileage is 111,000. Pretty low for a 2008 SUV.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, to start, I currently have a 1990 GMC Suburban V2500 4x4. I got it to tow my 2017 Keystone Bullet 30 foot trailer. I also got it to do some overlanding, light trail runs, off road camping etc.
While this is a great truck, it does have some disadvantages. It only has 190hp factory, and all are still there as it has a new crate engine. The THM400 is only a 3 speed, this means with the 4.10 gears it not a great highway vehicle. It does pull my trailer, but it struggles a bit.
The last issue is that my wife hates it and can't drive it.
So, I am looking at a real nice 2008 Yukon XL 2500 SLE with 6.0l. I travel with just my wife and 2 dogs, kids are grown. I want to be able to tow my trailer (6500lbs dry) and still be able to do a little off road camping/Overlanding. I know this will never be a serious off road rig/rock crawler, mostly just FS roads and back country discovery routes. I want to be able to sleep inside when not using the trailer.

So, my questions:
How much does the 2500 Yukon share with other GM platforms, and what ones? Are they the same as a 2500 Truck of the same year? I do know it has leaf spring in the rear, not coils.
Also wondering about the frame, as I have a winch I want to transfer over and nobody lists a hidden mount for the Yukon 2500.
How is the 6.0l? I know the 5.3l has some issues, what should I look for in the 6.0l?
I assume this would also have the 4L80E? These seem bullet proof if taken care of.
What other issues should I be looking at when I go see this truck? Current mileage is 111,000. Pretty low for a 2008 SUV.

Those motors are near bullet proof. The chassis is basically the same as all 2007-2010 pickups, 2011 pickups have different chassis and lug pattern. There is plenty of room for hidden winch, I would talk to Rough Country, may need to mix and match parts.

Trans will be the 6L90 6-speed and truck will have 3.73 gears.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Can’t believe you found one that someone’s parting with and you’re on the receiving end. These are highly sought after. My bro in law has an 07 with the 4 speed trans and the previous towing capacity that’s 1.9k less than an 08.

Is drinks regular grade fuel and since it’s designated in the NNBS family or 07-14 manufactured year you can swap features and options you may want from other years or trims (Escalade) like Legos.

They’re popular because of the adjustable pedals (if equipped) so the Mrs. can dial in the driving position to use it as a kid hauler when not towing.

Good luck & welcome to the forum!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Matt_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2008 will have the 6 speed 6L90E trans. You also get the 10.5" full floating 14 bolt rear axle with a GMT900 2500 (this was only available with the 8.1L for GMT800).

If you don't buy it can you post the listing? Asking for a friend....

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've owned my 2008 Suburban 2500 since 2013. I tow heavy (8600-lb trailer) all over the US. It now has 207k miles, and probably 30k of that is heavy towing.

How much does the 2500 Yukon share with other GM platforms, and what ones?

The GMT900 2500 platform underpinnings are the same as the GMT800 1500HD pickups. So that basically means any full size GM truck.

Body? Identical to the half-tons - Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, Yukon XL, Escalade, Escalade ESV.

Are they the same as a 2500 Truck of the same year?I do know it has leaf spring in the rear, not coils.

No, not quite the same as the GMT900 2500HD trucks. There are a few custom bumper manufacturers that make winch bumpers for the 2500 GMT900 trucks. But a Silverado/Sierra 2500HD aftermarket bumper will not work.

I assume this would also have the 4L80E?

The 6.0 is a 300k mile motor. Absolutely bulletproof. And you'll have the 6L90, which is a very stout transmission.

These seem bullet proof if taken care of.

Not much. The dashes like to crack. The power door lock actuators tend to fail about this age.

Throw it up on a rack and check for wet spots. Pay attention to all the cooler lines - trans, engine oil, etc. Yes, as long as you do your fluid changes, these trucks are good for 300k miles on most major components.

Regards to trailer towing, 7,000-8,000 is about the sweet spot. At 8,600, it's less fun up in the Rockies.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

You've already received lots of experiences and perspectives from the great folks on this Forum.

OP
OP
O

Oldmopars

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your great input.
I called the place that has the Yukon. The price is great, however it does have 2 issues.
1. It is in the west, but came from Canada and so the underside has a bit of surface rust. From the pictures, it is not too bad, but still something I will have to deal with. No cancer, just surface stuff.
2. The guy said that it shifts hard going into the gears. It does go into every gear just fine and cruises down the Highway fine, but it shifts hard.
Would this be a sensor? A solenoid? TPS? I read where one guy took it to the dealer and had Tech 2(?) reset it?
Any advice would be great. I really want it, but don't want to get stuck with a huge repair bill.
One of those aftermarket "Warranties" may be a good idea, normally not a fan.

rickmorgan2005

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can’t believe you found one that someone’s parting with and you’re on the receiving end. These are highly sought after. My bro in law has an 07 with the 4 speed trans and the previous towing capacity that’s 1.9k less than an 08.

Is drinks regular grade fuel and since it’s designated in the NNBS family or 07-14 manufactured year you can swap features and options you may want from other years or trims (Escalade) like Legos.

They’re popular because of the adjustable pedals (if equipped) so the Mrs. can dial in the driving position to use it as a kid hauler when not towing.

Good luck & welcome to the forum!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
i cant answer this
but new to site and in desperate need of some wiring help on a 2004 chevt tahoe. i cant figure out how to post

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick