2008 Yukon Electrical Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

penafam

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
same issues....2008 Yukon XL

Same issues many of you have written about. Locks, a/c, stereo pop, dead battery (then new life after a few minutes), etc....

New alternator (twice), new battery. About to visit my local dealer for some advice but after reading what you all have to say I don't know that it would make a difference.

Thought it was fixed once, then twice, and here we are again.

Any updates from anyone??

thanks in advance

Scottmeadows1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes. I fought this for over 6 months. My dealer and I did a tremendous amount of troubleshooting. Although they can't always prove the main ground cable to be bad it definitely is the problem. They will meter it and attempt to decide if they think it needs changing but I can tell you mine was within the GM spec by a small margin but it caused these very same problems. They replaced mine and I've not had a single issue in over 4 months. It's the large main ground cable between the battery and the engine block. Cleaning the connections will not fix it.

penafam

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
same issues...

Thanks for the reply scott. I'm at a crossroads with this vehicle. I trust my local dealer, he's been around for a long time and tells me he's seen this before. He showed me the #PIT4816E 'report' about how to handle the issue. He says he spoke with a GM engineer a couple of years ago. It says to check the mega fuse and then battery cables with a drop voltage test. He thinks it's the negative cable but says replacing all three is the way to go. The bulletin or report he showed me says nothing about the main ground cable. I will bring this up when I speak with him. My previous fix was not with my dealer so I'm tempted to let my dealer try to fix it. It's my last resort before getting rid of the car.

Last edited:

Scottmeadows1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I feel strongly about the fix. I fought this battle weekly, sometimes daily for many months. The cable solved my problem immediately. Not even the slightest blip since that day. I wish you the best.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen other threads that the main ground cable fixed allot of intermittent issues.

GBRacing

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Add my 2007 Tahoe LTZ to this list. This is my first GM product. I've had it for a little over 2 years now and it's been nothing but headaches. However, until now, none of the problems would have left you stranded like this has. Not good!

I'll try the battery ground cable replacement and see.

Kizmo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
sonlight,

I would like to have another team look into this for you. Could you please send me your full contact information including your VIN and mileage?

Thank you

Elizabeth, GM Customer Service

GM, Were you able to fix Sonlight's problem? Same thing is happening to me. While driving everything electrical turns off and the door locks go crazy.

bboyce10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
KIZMO: Its the main ground cable from the battery to the block that is inherently too small for the electrical load. It may test out as within "spec", but its just too small. Get a larger battery cable and put new/larger connectors on both ends, and your problem is solved. Its been over a year for mine and no more electrical problems of any kind. Don't wait for GM, it will just be unsafe in the meantime. Also check your alternator output, needs to be 14+ volts in order to run all the electronics. Good luck.

Last edited:

Kizmo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
KIZMO: Its the main ground cable from the battery to the block that is inherently too small for the electrical load. It may test out as within "spec", but its just too small. Get a larger battery cable and put new/larger connectors on both ends, and your problem is solved. Its been over a year for mine and no more electrical problems of any kind. Don't wait for GM, it will just be unsafe in the meantime. Also check your alternator output, needs to be 14+ volts in order to run all the electronics. Good luck.

boyce,
Thank you for the reply. I'll do that. As far as testing the alternator output voltage, where should I tap into that? Is there a good test point somewhere under the hood? Anything else I need to do activate it? Otherwise, the battery meter in the dash shows about 14 at times while I'm driving.

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How hard is it to change out the cable? Sounds like an easy fix, 2 bolts and be done (one on the battery, one on the block). But for most things it is a bit more involved.

Are there any videos or is it just straight forward (I have not even looked at it, but I like to be prepared.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn

Latest posts