2008 Tahoe with 196K miles with blown gaskets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tdahew

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2008 Tahoe with about 196,000 miles, never ran hot well kept. The engine is building up pressure and blow both hoses from the heat pump. I put the truck in the shop the first picture is the driver side andimage1.JPG and picture number 2 is the passenger side.image2.JPGQuestion, do I just replace the heads and head gaskets or just replace the motor? If I must replace the motor any idea as to where I should start looking? Also has anyone else with an 08 Tahoe with 5.3 l engine and high miles had similar issues? Third option, just go and buy a 2015 Tahoe. I love my 08 but I have kids and need to be safe.

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with rebuilding it, just depends on your budget how far you can go into it. At close to 200k miles you wouldn't want to just do the heads though. At some point the cost may balance out with a crate motor. You could always have a local parts dismantler (junkyard) find you a motor and tranny out of a wreck with less miles. Last resort would be Mr. Goodwrench. At least you would get a warranty though.
Or you could just go ahead and replace the head gaskets and carry on. If you didn't run it hot and warp the heads or sieze the pistons you might just be fine for another stretch. These are pretty tough motors. Listen to the technician working on it and weigh your options.

Last edited:

FrankU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Listen to Eggs. There are plenty of low cost-mile 5.3's out there. That engine is most likely toast anyway.

OP
OP
T

tdahew

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you, one more question, my current engine is the 5.3 LMG which has the Iron block and head, if I had to put in another motor is there any difference either performance or maintenance with 5.3 LY5 which has the aluminum block and head? ( both are Felx)

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
Keep in mind, all mechanical things suck. Lol.
Seems to me that aluminum would be lighter and offer more performance and economy. But I don't really see too much of a difference. I don't see anyone clamoring to go aluminum if they have iron, both are made equally as well. I would take the best deal I could find. It seems that you got some serious longevity out of yours as it is.

OP
OP
T

tdahew

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks, I just lucked up and found an engine with 61,000 miles.. For a very good price

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
Wow, awesome! It will be like a brand new vehicle.
At 61k, that should be a tight little motor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove