2007 Yukon Denali overheats and turns off AC...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Another thing to check is to make absolutely sure you don't have an air pocket/bubble in the system. These trucks can be a little hard to burp/bleed ALL the air out when you drain the coolant for some reason. If there is an air pocket trapped in the water pump it won't pump water.

The easiest way is to get the nose of the truck higher than the rear, as high as possible like backing into a ditch or steep driveway, and start the truck up and get it up to operating temperature and top off the coolant as needed.

MrAguirrechu

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My wife's 2007 Denali XL with 143,000 miles went hot and the display showed engine overheating turned AC off. Does anyone tell me what happen and is it an easy fix? I was injured at work, had 2 of 3 surgeries, and don't really have the $$$ to pay the dealer. The suv has been taking care of, this just happened out of the blue...
The same thing just happened to my "07 last week. 177K miles. She was driving on the highway, got an overheat warning and pulled over just as AC shut off and steam started pouring out. I'm not sure what caused it but when I got there the heater hose had blown off. Replaced all hoses and thermostat. The mechanic didn't find any other issues in the cooling system.

Phibbs87

Reaction score
As @tsuintx said... check coolant level.

If it is full I would crank it up and turn on the A/C and pop the hood and make sure both radiator fans are running. If not check your fuses.

If they are then my guess is your thermostat is sticking in the closed position. Very common problem.

How do you know if ur thermostat is sticking shut? I just sold my 07 Hoe & picked up a 07 Burb Z71 (Tahoe XL as my kids call her) w/ 115k last night and I noticed on the drive this morning that she was running really warm driving to work. I just went down & checked & it looks like the coolant reservoir is almost bone dry (stupid me for not checking before I left the hole in the wall dealership) so I’m hoping if I fill her up with dex-cool 15075118, then that will resolve the issue cus both fans are running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
How do you know if ur thermostat is sticking shut? I just sold my 07 Hoe & picked up a 07 Burb Z71 (Tahoe XL as my kids call her) w/ 115k last night and I noticed on the drive this morning that she was running really warm driving to work. I just went down & checked & it looks like the coolant reservoir is almost bone dry (stupid me for not checking before I left the hole in the wall dealership) so I’m hoping if I fill her up with dex-cool 15075118, then that will resolve the issue cus both fans are running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your cooling fans are running and your truck is still running hot then it is possible the thermostat could be sticking/stuck. The lower radiator hose is the outlet from the radiator to the inlet on the engine on these engines so the lower hose should be cooler than the upper radiator hose.

I would top off the coolant level and keep a VERY close eye on the level afterwards. If it is low there is obviously a leak somewhere. The plastic quick connectors for the heater hoses at the firewall are a good place to start looking for a leak because they are prone to getting brittle and leaking.

Just FYI... the temperature gauge on these trucks, when at normal operating temperature, shows 210° where as the actual temperature, when read from the sensor via a Tech2 or OBD reader, is usually around 192°-194°

Swaggerwagon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I agree with the previous posters, that there was a leak, and this kid made a field repair. Now here’s a thought you won’t find on a lot of auto forums. If your girl didn’t explicitly ASK for your help with this, maybe sit this one out, or at least let her take the lead on this one. Dudes wanna help to get stuff done. If your girl feels like your picking on her baby, then they’ll both turn on you. Not tryin to be in your personal business…I’ve just seen helpful, supportive men run into all sorts of trouble! The road to hell, is paved with good intentions.

Lecture over

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879