2007 Yukon Denali 6.2l Engine Knock After Start-up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A little up date,
I had let the Dealer change my oil and oil filter with a A/C Delco oil filter to satisfy GM so when I was going to take it back for the NOT NORMAL so called PISTON SLAP.

Well NO MORE noise, its back to normal with out the knock.
So it appears to have been a defective NAPA GOLD oil filter.

But see I have been on this since this knock started, and corrected it with-in 2,000 miles. And the knock is NOT piston slap its the lifters loosing oil and having to pump back up. Just like it does when you change oil and have a dry start-up.

So I feel with the people that has run many miles thinking this is normal and ignoring it, your issue more than likely will not get corrected unless you replace the lifters.

I had a issue in the past with a NAPA Gold canister oil filter the engine was doing the samething dry start-up's when cold. I found the NAPA oil filter was 1/4" shorter than the Factory oil filter. Which this ended up being the cause of the dry start up's when cold.

Big Bad Allis

Reaction score
A little up date,
I had let the Dealer change my oil and oil filter with a A/C Delco oil filter to satisfy GM so when I was going to take it back for the NOT NORMAL so called PISTON SLAP.

Well NO MORE noise, its back to normal with out the knock.
So it appears to have been a defective NAPA GOLD oil filter.

But see I have been on this since this knock started, and corrected it with-in 2,000 miles. And the knock is NOT piston slap its the lifters loosing oil and having to pump back up. Just like it does when you change oil and have a dry start-up.

So I feel with the people that has run many miles thinking this is normal and ignoring it, your issue more than likely will not get corrected unless you replace the lifters.

I had a issue in the past with a NAPA Gold canister oil filter the engine was doing the samething dry start-up's when cold. I found the NAPA oil filter was 1/4" shorter than the Factory oil filter. Which this ended up being the cause of the dry start up's when cold.

Sounds like the backflow prevention wasn't operating properly. Also what kind of oil did you have in it before the change? Did the dealer put in the AC Delco Conventional 5w30 or the new AC Delco dexos 1?

DRC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like the backflow prevention wasn't operating properly. Also what kind of oil did you have in it before the change? Did the dealer put in the AC Delco Conventional 5w30 or the new AC Delco dexos 1?

I have been using Castrol Syn Blend 5W30 and have for almost 5 yrs.
The dealer used AC conventional 5W30 on this recent oil change.
I just wanted to make GM happy before they did any repairs and have the A/C oil filter on.
I think I'm done with using Napa Gold/Wix oil and fuel filters.
The Napa Gold/Wix fuel filters for the Duramax has a plastic housing instead of metal, NOT GOOD.

Big Bad Allis

Reaction score
I have been using Castrol Syn Blend 5W30 and have for almost 5 yrs.
The dealer used AC conventional 5W30 on this recent oil change.
I just wanted to make GM happy before they did any repairs and have the A/C oil filter on.
I think I'm done with using Napa Gold/Wix oil and fuel filters.
The Napa Gold/Wix fuel filters for the Duramax has a plastic housing instead of metal, NOT GOOD.

The GM Conventional Oil is Mobil Special X1 5w30. It is technically a synthetic blend which is the only way to achieve a GF-5 specification. IF you want to keep GM happy for now and put an even better GM oil in ask for the dexos 1 5w30 or go full synthetic with Mobil 1. Good luck

DRC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The GM Conventional Oil is Mobil Special X1 5w30. It is technically a synthetic blend which is the only way to achieve a GF-5 specification. IF you want to keep GM happy for now and put an even better GM oil in ask for the dexos 1 5w30 or go full synthetic with Mobil 1. Good luck

THANKS

My only goal was to have the proper GM oil filter on, in case the dealer needed to do repairs and GM questioned anything.
GM I don't care about keeping happy they have screwed me around enough one way or another over the past 5 yrs, with the 2 new vehicles we bought the same day spending over $110K.
Now on the other hand the wife has to be happy 24/7, there is NO way around that.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
GM dealership replaced my heads when I took mine in for piston slap. No questions asked, they were very pleasant to deal with.

sdoran

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought a 2007 6.2L yukon xl denali in January. nightmare vehicle

We bought a 2007 6.2L yukon xl denali in January. In Febuary, the Traction control and check engine lights came on. Took to dealer. We found out that the lifters had been replaced in it in December. They have since replace the computer. And they found metal shavings in oil pan and have replaced cam and crank shafts. Lights have been back on several times. Last time they said it was a vacuum hose. I now have a tick in the engine. Present hot or cold. goes away if you put in nuetral. Dealer and GM said they can't find or fix it. Told me to bring back when lights come back on! The truck has had significant power loss (slow response) since these repairs. In addition, during last visit at dealer it came back with dents, scratches and nicks around all 4 wheels! Dealer took in and spent 2 days. They fixed minor scratches okay, but chips and dents were repaired with touchup paint! A four year old could have touched it up better. I am infuriated at GM and this so called GM "service dept". If GM doesn't address all of this I am calling my attorney about Mag Moss.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We bought a 2007 6.2L yukon xl denali in January. In Febuary, the Traction control and check engine lights came on. Took to dealer. We found out that the lifters had been replaced in it in December. They have since replace the computer. And they found metal shavings in oil pan and have replaced cam and crank shafts. Lights have been back on several times. Last time they said it was a vacuum hose. I now have a tick in the engine. Present hot or cold. goes away if you put in nuetral. Dealer and GM said they can't find or fix it. Told me to bring back when lights come back on! The truck has had significant power loss (slow response) since these repairs. In addition, during last visit at dealer it came back with dents, scratches and nicks around all 4 wheels! Dealer took in and spent 2 days. They fixed minor scratches okay, but chips and dents were repaired with touchup paint! A four year old could have touched it up better. I am infuriated at GM and this so called GM "service dept". If GM doesn't address all of this I am calling my attorney about Mag Moss.

I'm sorry you are experiencing these issues with your dealer. Have you contacted Customer Service regarding this? If not, I would like to set-up a case for you. Please send the following information so I may proceed: your full name, address, phone number, vehicle mileage, VIN and the name and city of your dealer.

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Nyccharlie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm sorry you are experiencing these issues with your dealer. Have you contacted Customer Service regarding this? If not, I would like to set-up a case for you. Please send the following information so I may proceed: your full name, address, phone number, vehicle mileage, VIN and the name and city of your dealer.

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401