2007 Yukon Denali 6.2l Engine Knock After Start-up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rayaz_XL

Reaction score
i have a 2007 Yukon Denali XL 6.2LV8 AWD. Engine has knocking noise for 5 minutes after start-up in mid-temp, cold. The motor has 146,000km. The sound is like a duramax diesel, any suggestions??

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rayaz_XL,

Please keep us posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
Caron, GM Customer Service

i have a 2007 Yukon Denali XL 6.2LV8 AWD. Engine has knocking noise for 5 minutes after start-up in mid-temp, cold. The motor has 146,000km. The sound is like a duramax diesel, any suggestions??

OP
OP
Rayaz_XL

Rayaz_XL

Reaction score
I most definatly will keep you posted with the outcome of this problem.

vtx yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2007 Yukon makes a noise from the transmission when I start it up but when worm it sounds good. I have no warranty so if you find out what it is send me a answer thanks .

02tahoeindiana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like piston slap to me, my denali does it, and so does my tahoe. Evident in all GM V8s. Listen to this video and see if this is what your talking about, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geDRmNKH0Pg
If so its not worry its not hurting anything nearly all our trucks do it on cold starts.

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah you could def hear it when standing outside and near the truck. You didn't mention if you could hear it from the inside of the truck. If its from the inside I would take it to the dealership.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk

DRC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Yukon Denali with the 6.2 bought new, now with just 27,000 miles on the engine.
It just started what the dealer calls it "Piston slap" when its cold it knocks as they call it for about 30 seconds. You can hear it just fine in tthe cab wih the windows up, and my dealer claimss this is normal.
Of course the 5 yr warranty ends in June 2012, then my aftermarket warranty takes over this is not a GM warranty.
I know a few people say on this thread this is normal, I don't buy this.
With the tight tolorances all engines are built these days, and since this just started I'm not convinced that this is normal.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
GM Motors have done this for years. Not just the v8's either, the I-5 in the H3 and Colorado do it too. I believe there are some other manufacturers out there that have the same issues.

My 2000 Silverado had it from the get go and I drove that to 130k miles with no issues to the motor. I really wouldn't worry about it too much.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DRC,

This is considered normal. The noise is usually noticed on initial start-up when the temperature is below 50 degree Fahrenheit. It may be more pronounced on the first cold start after a long trip. The noise typically disappears within the first 5 - 30 seconds, but may last longer in extreme cold temperatures.

The noise is not detrimental to the performance, reliability or durability of the engine. The noise does not have any affect on the longevity of any of the engine components.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali

Latest posts