2007 Tahoe/New lifters now no tahoe won’t start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jessemas23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just installed new lifters in my 2007 tahoe today on the passenger side and after I get everything back together the Tahoe won’t run. Starter will clunk and a I may get it to turn over a time or two but will not crank. Turned crank by hand and it is very hard to turn. Any suggestions?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove all of the spark plugs and try to spin the engine by hand. Engine IS going to be hard to turn. With a 12" long ratchet on the crank pulley bolt there will be some resistance; that's normal.

Double check all of your wiring if you removed anything. What else did you replace? Maybe pushrods? You didn't replace the cam, did you?

Just removed the head on that side and the lifters? What's the history with the truck? How did you get here? Give us some background. Was it running okay or decent before?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Along with what @strutaeng asked, how far did you tear into things to replace lifters?

On a similar note, when I replaced the cam and lifters on the 6.2 in my 2007 Yukon, when I went to start it up, I got nothing. After going back over everything that I had apart, it turned out that my starter seized up on me while I was waiting on parts and time to do the work. Completely unrelated to what I had worked on.

Go back through and check ALL your wire harness connections, sensors, etc. first step in Troubleshooting is to review whatever you just touched so go through all of that.

OP
OP
J

Jessemas23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought the truck around 2 months a go knowing it needed lifters on driver side. Replaced lifters, head gasket and head bolts. Everything was working fine until I drove 800 miles from Tennessee to Florida where I developed a lifter tick in Cylinder 6 on the passenger side, pulled valve cover and discovered a loose rocker arm. Pulled head on the passenger side to replace the lifters and everything seemed to be going smoothly until I got everything back together and no crank, turnover very slow… almost fast enough but not enough. Just installed a new battery and alternator yesterday. Now I’ve tried cranking it so much I had a small fire from the bottom of the motor

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the truck around 2 months a go knowing it needed lifters on driver side. Replaced lifters, head gasket and head bolts. Everything was working fine until I drove 800 miles from Tennessee to Florida where I developed a lifter tick in Cylinder 6 on the passenger side, pulled valve cover and discovered a loose rocker arm. Pulled head on the passenger side to replace the lifters and everything seemed to be going smoothly until I got everything back together and no crank, turnover very slow… almost fast enough but not enough. Just installed a new battery and alternator yesterday. Now I’ve tried cranking it so much I had a small fire from the bottom of the motor

Removed the passenger head, huh? That's where the main ground for the battery goes. Did you put it back, along with the other small ground that goes on that stud? Was the metal clean underneath it? Perhaps the cable is corroded on the inside where you can't see it and removing and reinstalling it weakened it further and now it won't carry enough amperage for the starter.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In addition to what @iamdub suggested, I would at least pull your valve cover off and make sure your rocker arms are good and were put back correctly. With a loose rocker arm bolt, it may have had one came loose and not letting a valve open.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it crank faster with the new batt?

OP
OP
J

Jessemas23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m assuming from the starter
Does it crank faster with the new batt?
no it doesn’t,

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a small fire under the engine? I'm guessing passenger side?

if so, you melted down your starter and it's going to need replacing at this point. even if it's not your first problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn