2007 GMC Denali stalls after towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. It is just something that is recommended on a diesel forum I go to for reducing exhaust temps, didn't know if it was the same for gas engines.

I did notice that after I got the auxiliary transmission cooler installed that my outside temperature on my rear view mirror reads much higher than normal. I think I found the sensor and might try to move it somewhere further away from the transmission cooler radiator.

tgui

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll need to make sure its away from the cooler and in an area where it gets air flow. I had to move mine on my prev Yukon when I did a large trans cooler.

Per the stalling issue, the fuel line runs by the trans and I think pretty close to the drivers exhaust. I'd see if it were possible to wrap it. I wrapped my prev Yukons trans lines with the pictured stuff and it worked well.

DLPrsbs.jpg

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks dude! Do you think that could have anything to do with the overheating? Not sure if that sensor has any other function other than outside temp for the rear view mirror.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. This. As someone temporarily living without cats the smell at stoplights can get pretty bad. Its not worth it.

Really? I guess I don't remember anymore. First thing we did back in the day was gut or remove those things. I do remember the smell of VP Race Fuels 117, AVGas, 104 Unleaded but nothing objectionable and certainly not while driving.

The smell of stinky cars made it through my cabin filter today but I knew it was not me as we're running E85 and smells like french fries or maybe corn on the cob!

tgui

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really? I guess I don't remember anymore. First thing we did back in the day was gut or remove those things. I do remember the smell of VP Race Fuels 117, AVGas, 104 Unleaded but nothing objectionable and certainly not while driving.

The smell of stinky cars made it through my cabin filter today but I knew it was not me as we're running E85 and smells like french fries or maybe corn on the cob!

Maybe I'm just a *****. ;)

All my fast cars/trucks have had at least high-flow cats. Yeah E85 is a totally different beast too. My STi friends would run that. I never did, but probably should have tried it! I was doing 24psi, 15.5 degrees at peak torque on regular 93 so was pretty happy.

JEFFC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any idea what caused the fuel to heat up? Bad wiring?

Any update?
No, not bad wiring. I really do not know if the fuel is any hotter then it ever was before this started occurring. I have owned it since new and the fuel lines have never been repositioned. My mechanic is convinced that our fuels have been reformulated and this is what caused the issue. No other explanation. If you want to determine if this is your problem, get a fuel pressure tester and try the bleed off trick. Nothing to lose. You could also try some ethanol free premium if available. (less tendency to vapor lock)

cdig

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has ever found a proof positive fix for this issue. To date I have replaced the crankshaft position sensor, wrapped my fuel lines in insulation, tried the gas cap vent, and I still had the same issue. I then took it to my mechanic who diagnosed the problem as camshaft sensor, as it appeared to be out of range... I approved the replacement of the camshaft sensor (to the tune of $700) only to have the same issue. He then suggested that we change the oil, and add some additive. This actually appeared to resolve the issue, as on the next trip out with the boat under the same high temp conditions, the truck did not stall when coming to a stop. Awesome, I thought. However, after a few more weeks we went out on another outing with the camper, and the truck again died on us when coming to a stop. Mechanic says that it's likely the cam phaser gears or something internal... Which is big money to fix. I don't feel like playing a guessing game!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has ever found a proof positive fix for this issue. To date I have replaced the crankshaft position sensor, wrapped my fuel lines in insulation, tried the gas cap vent, and I still had the same issue. I then took it to my mechanic who diagnosed the problem as camshaft sensor, as it appeared to be out of range... I approved the replacement of the camshaft sensor (to the tune of $700) only to have the same issue. He then suggested that we change the oil, and add some additive. This actually appeared to resolve the issue, as on the next trip out with the boat under the same high temp conditions, the truck did not stall when coming to a stop. Awesome, I thought. However, after a few more weeks we went out on another outing with the camper, and the truck again died on us when coming to a stop. Mechanic says that it's likely the cam phaser gears or something internal... Which is big money to fix. I don't feel like playing a guessing game!
have you tried relieving the fuel pressure on the fuel rail when it happens?, if that works then you may still have heat related fuel problems this isn't a very "typical" problem it only seems to crop up for a few people when they have been towing. what are your engine and transmission temps running when towing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout