2007 5.3L Harmonic Balancer/Crank Wobble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gsxrkid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was hoping to get your opinion on this unbalanced wobble I’m having. Truck was in a front end accident about 7 years ago when I first bought it but it was really just cosmetic damage. There was no damage to the frame or any of the parts inside the engine bay. I think they replaced the A/C condenser but that’s it. The reason I’m mentioning the accident is because I’ve done research on this and that seems to be a common topic that gets brought up.

Anyway, the A/C tensioner definitely shows a lot of movement in the video but do you think that its bad or just reacting to the wobbling of the harmonic balancer? Do you think I should replace the harmonic balancer or am I being overly keen on nothing? It seems to smooth out when RPM’s are increased as well.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts/advice!

OP
OP
G

gsxrkid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The video doesn’t quite do it justice. In person it looks more cause for concern. If the crank is that unbalanced, I’m afraid it’s going to smoke the crank bearings.

Then again, it’s got 132k on it now and I’m definitely hypercritical of everything!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
132k is nothing. While harmonic balancers do wear out, yours is fine. Turn the radio up louder and drive on. Same for the idler. The idler was eliminated in later years, don't remember seeing one on mine.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you puts you at ease go look at some on other vehicles they all have some slight wobble, unless it's some $40k motor then it might not, lol

techbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My motor wobbles so much at idle that you can feel it in the steering wheel and your foot. Still, it smooths out with throttle and puts down great power. I'm guessing it's just "Vortec Vibration" that can be tuned out. You might have the same thing. Call BB?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might I suggest that the actual balancer may be in balance and the pulley attached to it may be slightly out of round? An unbalanced engine will quickly destroy itself.

OP
OP
G

gsxrkid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
if you puts you at ease go look at some on other vehicles they all have some slight wobble, unless it's some $40k motor then it might not, lol
yeah, I’m going with not.. haha

To everyone else who commented, I’m very grateful. You have definitely put my my mind at ease. I think if it were shaking my steering wheel I would’ve taken it in immediately and never have posted this thread but I’m nowhere near that.

I still may change the tensioner because its only 30 bucks and a quick and easy job but its certainly moved down on my to-do list!

Thank you all again!

gin_road

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Most harmonic balancers are made in two parts.
The inner hub and a outer one. They will have a rubber section between them. This is to dampen vibration. If this rubber parts fails you will wind up with the outer hub comming loose and causing all types of damage under the hood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz