2006 Yukon XL slt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought high mileage nice shape Yukon 174,000 all is good with motor except a random tick like a lifter but I have noticed it's louder when the volt meters charging hard. 14-15 volt . Could the alternator tick like a valve tick. Because after warmed up for while it goes away . It's very random when it does it .. any trick to run thru to clean the lifters up . I suspect it always had very short trips. And yearly vactions so build up might be a issue . Only guessing about last owner. Engine oil clean and clear and trans bright pink yet .

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought high mileage nice shape Yukon 174,000 all is good with motor except a random tick like a lifter but I have noticed it's louder when the volt meters charging hard. 14-15 volt . Could the alternator tick like a valve tick. Because after warmed up for while it goes away . It's very random when it does it .. any trick to run thru to clean the lifters up . I suspect it always had very short trips. And yearly vactions so build up might be a issue . Only guessing about last owner. Engine oil clean and clear and trans bright pink yet .

look for a missing or busted off exhaust manifold bolt. the rear end one likes to break first, then it can leak till the engine warms up. once hot no more tick.

Massfloefi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
look for a missing or busted off exhaust manifold bolt. the rear end one likes to break first, then it can leak till the engine warms up. once hot no more tick.

I had three bolt heads broken off. I thought it was lifter tick at first. I didn't know the sound difference between an exhaust manifold leak and lifter tick. Fixed two with Dorman exhaust manifold clamps and the middle section with a single KAP manifold clamp. Things work perfectly.

OP
OP
Woodblocker55

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks ...I will have a look and let you know what I find .[emoji106]

OP
OP
Woodblocker55

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well very interesting there's 3 bolt heads missing on the driver's side way in the back . [emoji849][emoji15] How do I deal with that ?

I bought it as my towing rig . Need to work all bugs out. It's got the G80 and the GT5 4:10 my plan was as second rig and my winter rig and towing maybe 3000 miles a year . Right now it has 2 issues the tick and it needs new hydroboost and power steering hoses . I have bought in 2008 a 1999 Tahoe that was getting to rusty for towing but will be my plow rig . This looks like great forum ..
Thanks for replys .

595d2e5926c52880d1dee121d4db87ca.jpg

Last edited:

Massfloefi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://kralautoparts.com/

Give them a call and they will help you out with the parts you need. Nice people. I believe the owner answers the phone. Personally I would take a picture of the broken off bolt heads and email it to him first so you are both on the same page.

Not sure how mechanical you are but two of them should be a easy fix. The rear clamp for the third bolt depending on clearance can be a chore. Took a mechanic something like 2 hours to get mine on. I’ve also heard it’s taken people 20 minutes so just depends on how much room you have. That and tools.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Woodblocker55

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok ...Wow thanks for tip yes I could bolt them on it's a great fix . I will call them tomorrow. [emoji106] I might have to take inside plastic wheel well out . [emoji106]

OP
OP
Woodblocker55

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the clamps expensive?

OP
OP
Woodblocker55