2006 Tahoe/Locking brakes )car won’t move

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jarfortahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone my name is Jesse I own a 2006 Tahoe that is in near perfect condition with one exception the BRAKES.

I had a new cylinder cylinder out on which did not fix the problem. I have had removed Stabilitytrax fuse which I was told by a YouTuber would fix the problem. Which did help but now it is doing it every time I drive the car or test it.

I am lost at this point. My next check is calipers and replacing break fluid.

Any ideas or is this a known issue ?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We need better info here. First off, if you replaced the master cylinder, is the pushrod adjusted properly? Second, do all brakes lock as you say? Have you jacked up all 4 wheels and tried to spins tires by hand? If so, what are the results?

Do the brakes lock all the time, or after driving? A failed brake line can cause a wheel to have substantial drag, but it's highly unlikely all 4 have failed. Can you open the bleeder at the wheels with the master cylinder cap off and get a steady stream of fluid?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What @B-train said and then some. What is a "cylinder cylinder"? Why was that part replaced to begin with? Was whatever problem you had before or after the cylinder cylinder replacement? Sounds like, if I have interpreted what you have said correctly, that as you drive and use brakes and build heat the brakes lock up? After that, do you just let sit and eventually you can move? I am sorry but your story of the problem is confusing.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving clarifying questions from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

We're here for you.

OP
OP
J

Jarfortahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone my name is Jesse I own a 2006 Tahoe that is in near perfect condition with one exception the BRAKES.

I had a new cylinder cylinder out on which did not fix the problem. I have had removed Stabilitytrax fuse which I was told by a YouTuber would fix the problem. Which did help but now it is doing it every time I drive the car or test it.

I am lost at this point. My next check is calipers and replacing break fluid.

Any ideas or is this a known issue ?
More information. The brakes lock up after driving for a while. I believe that it is all 4 brakes since the car will freeze. I did not do the master cylinder I paid a shop to do it.
What @B-train said and then some. What is a "cylinder cylinder"? Why was that part replaced to begin with? Was whatever problem you had before or after the cylinder cylinder replacement? Sounds like, if I have interpreted what you have said correctly, that as you drive and use brakes and build heat the brakes lock up? After that, do you just let sit and eventually you can move? I am sorry but your story of the problem is confusing.
I had a shop put on a master cylinder because the brakes were locking up. They told me it would fix the issue. I drive the vehicle for a while, the the brakes freeze up. If I turn the car off the brakes will free up but it does not take any time for them to freeze back up again.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long after shutting it off? Like a quick restart and go? Or a let it sit for 20 min and go?

Either something is out of adjustment on the master cylinder, or you have some weird abs module applying brake pressure. If it's a quick restart and all good, then it's electrical/abs module related. If it takes a little bit until things cool off, then it's most likely mechanical travel in the master cylinder that isn't letting the pistons come back to rest and release the fluid into the reservoir

7575js

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello did anyone ever figure out what's causing the brakes to lock up while driving...i am having this same issue i explained to my mechanic the issue and he said that it was the master cylinder so we went to oreillys and purchased a brand new master cylinder it seem to have fixed the problem until about a week later it started doing the same thing about 10 minutes into driving the vehicle i can feel it starting to slow down so I'm giving it more gas to try to keep a steady pace with other vehicles but it's like I'm mashing the brakes and the gas at the same time...so i found some information on Google where a guy was having the same problem and he said that when his would lock up he would pull over and get out and loosen the lines that go to the master cylinder so last night as I'm driving my tahoe z71 it starts to act up so i pull over get out and loosen the lines on the master cylinder and let the pressure off of the calipers i tighten the lines and I'm able to move again freely until about 15 to 20 minutes it does it again if anyone has any info on how to fix this issue please chime in my name is Jeffery my email address is [email protected] just in case anyone wants to reach out to me...thanks in advance

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is your Tahoe? This sounds like a speed sensor issues -- maybe even an abs sensor, but I'm shooting in the dark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz