2006 GMC Yukon 5.3..The shops around me say I'm going to die

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan Casey

Reaction score
2006 gmc yukon xl 5.3L v8 207k on the clock 10 bolt rear end, 4 wheel drive with auto 4WD

Okay so I was looking for somebody with a little bit more experience with working with fuel lines to give me some information.

I live in the rust belt, and I have a fuel leak, and it could be any number of things from the top of the pump to a rotted out fuel line, but if I'm going to go to the trouble of dropping the gas tank, I think I would like to just replace the fuel lines as well.

I've been looking at the nylon fuel lines and the plastic variations versus the stainless steel or regular steel lines or nicop, for cost and benefit of not needing to bend or flare.

I really like the idea of the plastic fuel lines, as they're super easy to run, they're incredibly impervious to rust, and I just rebuilt the entire vehicle so I plan on keeping it for a while.

the leak has got to the point where it's still not like a visible stream or anything because I think it's running from higher up and then dripping down on the pipe, but my vehicle is having hesitation to start and with winter right on our heels I'd like to get it sorted sooner than later.

I called around just to see if it was going to be worth the hassle of doing the lines myself, and whenever I asked anybody about the plastic lines they basically told me they were extremely unsafe and that they would almost definitely leave me stranded missing one wheel with eyebrows crookedly shavin.

can somebody please give me like a final note on whether or not you can or can't use the nylon or some variation of plastic lines on my vehicle? I've heard some people say that because their fuel injected the pressure is too high, but I've also seen mechanics install the same lines on the same vehicle multiple times and claim they're the bee's knees.

Thanks!

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, tough decision. I would personally stick with the steel lines but I live down in the south and we don't have the rust issues that you get up there. This is a good place to ask your question though. Tons of experts here that have been there and done that. I also think this is a job you could do yourself. Once you get the tank out, it's really not that hard. I just did brake lines and that sucked so fuel lines seem easy to that. lol

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can use Nylon Air Brake/Fuel Line,legally. Adapter fittings are expensive, need One at fuel manifold or filter. Heat gun and water bucket to bend lines. Dorman has a good kit about $200. Otherwise get a roll of steel line and practice flaring. Better to buy a quality roll from grainger or similar than chineese from autoparts store.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can do your whole system in Nylon if you do it right. Just find a way to secure it so it doesn't move and rub on anything, anywhere, at any point. I extended factory lines when I relocated a fuel tank in an S10. I used the Nylon lines and barbed, push-in OEM style connectors to make them snap onto the quick-disconnect flares on the factory hard lines. I tightly taped the Nylon lines together (supply and return) then slipped foam rubber A/C line insulation over them where they ran along the frame. This was back around 2012. That truck is still on the road with no problems at all or ever.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pa isnt the worst with the salt in most of the state however as ive dealt with fuel and brake lines many of times before ill chime in here. the most ive done on vehicles i plan on keeping around (never actually have but...) is make sure i thoroughly clean the regular steel lines and liberally coat them in undercoating. if they are put back in the factory locations and your not a heavy offroader you will probably replace the vehicle long before a concern about said line leaking again. stainless steel or nylon lines are great on vehicles that sit around doing nothing for long periods of time. nylon lines are great but extreme care to make sure they are tight and dont vibrate against anything is key as they will rub right through. stainless steel lines are also great but with some extra care regular steel lines can last a very long time. a vehicle that has special meaning to you or is something special in general can offset the cost of stainless lines.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why didn't they use nylon lines from the factory? It seems as if those would have been cheaper.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why didn't they use nylon lines from the factory? It seems as if those would have been cheaper.

They use them on the areas that need to flexing, such as from the frame to the tank and from frame or firewall to engine. The rest is hard line since it is rigid and can be mounted to the frame and routed so that it doesn't move and/or rub on anything.

Floep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use copper nickel .It is a legal alternative and has been used in Europe. for years. readily available, reasonably priced, easily bent, lasts forever, uses normal fittings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman